Off Roading Forums banner

Weber Carb?

978 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Farther 
G
#1 ·
Are the Weber Carbs smog legal? How do they perform? I have read they suffer from stalling problems on inclines. Is this a big problem or just if you try to tilt it to extremes? Calmini claims a 20% power increase, is this accurate? I really want to do something to my engine to give it more power. Right now I have a 2" exhaust, RRO Mega Flow Filter, vent tube nozel and will be getting the Thorley header pretty soon. A new Carb seems like the next logical step to increased performance.

Thanks

#2 ·
I don't know where you live but, nothing other than stock is smog legal in California unless it carries a California Air Research Board (C.A.R.B) exemption number. The DT header do but the Weber does not. If you don't live in California, some after market products are "49 state" smog legal. I doubt that the Weber is even 49 state legal. There is probably a lot of product that meet smog regulations but the manufacturer have not gone through the evalution to get the exemption. It all has to do with money, although I have no idea why Calmini does not get their header exemption other than they say they sell all they can manufacture without the exemption from C.A.R.B.

I have been told that a cam can wake up the 1.3 engine. For my money I went with a K&N filter and DT headers. Gears are next for me. Being smog legal and good on fuel milage is important to me. Cam, carb and headers have always been a performance choice on almost any engine.

My personal opinion is that the 1.3 is a nice engine for the application that I use it for: daily driver and fire/loggin trails. If it ever blows however, I will strongly consider a Suzuki 16v EFI in it.

-Farther

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.