Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - brake boosters: hydro vs. dual dia. vacuum
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 02:30 PM
TiminMb

Re: brake boosters: hydro vs. dual dia. vacuum

Find a local rebuilder and take them your old booster as a model. Have them rebuild a Gm booster from an 80's S10 or cadillac. The only changes are the input and output rods. The output rod isn't attache dto the booster. the input rod is attached internally. I had a shop rebuild one for me with the right parts for around $150.00. After that, it was almost a bolt in. The studs on the gm booster are slightly wider spacing than the jeep booster. Just file or grind the holes slightly. The oem master cylinder bolts right on. Doubles your stopping power. I can easily lock up 33's on pavement. No need to put your leg into it either!

Don't know anything about the hydro booster, other than it being more complicated as it runs off the power steering pump. If your engine stalls, you immediately have no booster with hydro. With a vacuum booster, you have power till you let off the brake and it bleeds off the vacuum. I'm sure there is a case to be made for both.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome