Off Roading Forums banner

pics of 2 and 3" body lifts

735 views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
pics of 2 and 3\" body lifts

Since I'm planning on buying a body lift in conjuction with some sort of suspension lift, I was wondering if anyone out there could post some pictures of YJs with either 2 or 3" body lifts. I'd kinda like to see how "ugly" they make the Jeep look by separating the bumpers from the body so much. Anyways, if you guys have pics, I'd love to see them to help me decide between 2 and 3". Thanks.

Joker2002
93 YJ/4.0L/30x9.50 ATs

#2 ·
Re: pics of 2 and 3\" body lifts

Um, i did my 3 inch body lift on my cj this weekend, and crap, it is so ugly and flamming looking. Im keeping it though because it is serving a very inportant cause right now, so i can go on the trai. Well, good luck, have fun.
Peace
Andrew

Im good at being a Lil8itch, so im sticking to it!
C/O BBS Chat Room

#4 ·

I'm looking but I can't find any pictures of a 3" body lift. I would guess that most anyone who actually has a 2 or 3 inch body lift wouldn't want to have any pictures that show how UGLY it actually is. I was at a local high school yesterday and saw a YJ parked with stock suspension and a 3" body lift. From a distance it looks OK... but then you look at how low the frame is compared to the body, and then the lift blocks!

If you ever decide to do a 3" body lift, first go find one, look at it, and think of how much stress that puts on your body mounts when your Jeep is bouncing around.

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff

G
#5 ·

Man, hehe, I swear I can't tell if you guys are being sarcastic or not. Anyways, I guess it would probably be better to go with the 2" body lift. That seems to be what everyone suggests.

Joker2002
93 YJ/4.0L/30x9.50 ATs

#6 ·

Dont put a body lift on, they look like crap. I hate seeing a nice jeep and then pulling up to it only to find a set of stilts under the tub.

85 cj7 4inches, 33's, working on an engine swap...

G
#8 ·

Yeah, to tell you the truth, I've never really thought that body lifts looked too bad on CJs. I think they look worse on YJs, personally. Thanks for the pic, Rick.

Joker2002
93 YJ/4.0L/30x9.50 ATs

G
#9 ·

I have a 2" body lift on my YJ and I wouldnt have it any other way, and if you do it right most people wont even notice unless they are a trained Jeeper and even they will have to look twice. Yes they look like crap when you first install them, here is how you correct that. First take the inner wheel well rubber linings and off and make new longer ones out of rubber to hide the gap in the front wheel well. That solves that. In the rear I made a piece of diamond plate to cover the gap between the frame and the body, works great. In the front at first I had a grill guard and just flexed the pastic frame cover over the front body mount to hide the gap, now I have a winch and it serves the same purpose. No it is hardly noticeable and I love the way it keeps my 32" from rubbing the fenders even with no bumpstop extensions. I would not use it at my only means of lift but to complement a suspenion lift it is great, just stay away from the three inch, adds too much stress to the mounts IMHO. Hope this helps you out.

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!

Attachments

#10 ·

I found this on another site, looks like a TJ with a 3" Body lift. I'm with JeepJunkie - 2 - 3" body lift by itself is not a good way to go. 2" in combination with a suspension lift would be better. Like he said, you set it up right, no one can tell.

The guy in this pic, definately didn't do it right.

Rob

"Anyone perfect must be lying.
Anything easy has its cost."
Barenaked Ladies

Attachments

#11 ·

If you want to hide a body lift in the rear to get rid of that ugly gap get a piece of rectangular tubing and fab a rear bumper that hides the gap, you really don't even need a welder to make this bumper, all it would take would be something to cut metal w/ and a drill. You would have open ends if you didn't weld the ends but it wouldn't be the end of the world you could probably store a spare shafts in there, and to attach a d-ring simpally get a piece of angle iron and attach it in the middle also it would be a good idea to tie it into the frame, I know on yj's and probably cj's this is pretty easy, where the crossmember meets the frame there is a hole about an inch or 2 forward in the bottom of the frame, on yj's it already threaded so all you have to do is get a piece of flat stee probably 4"x1.5"x1/4" and bolt it to the bottom of the bumper and the frame. Taht would be a super simple easy bumper, would look much better than the big gap, if you have a welder you could weld some caps on the sides and maybe give the sides some better departure angles. Also keep away from nerf bars and rocker skids that attach to the frame like the tomken ones, they just show off the gap, switch to some angle iron ones that attach to the tub and maybe tie into the frame too.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

G
#12 ·

Hey, thanks for the reply. I enjoy hearing people that actually support me buying a body lift! /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif It's funny, because I was thinking the exact same thing myself about covering up the rear gap with diamond plating. I think that would look really sweet. You don't happent to have some pics of that part do you? My YJ is red too, so it would look pretty similar.

Joker2002
93 YJ/4.0L/30x9.50 ATs

G
#13 ·

Sorry I dont have a picture of it. One day I need to steal a digi camera and get pics of all differnt angles of my Jeep. Basically it covers from right under the tailgate to the frame and I made it as wide as the frame. Just make sure you clean the rear of your Jeep up real good and I used some silicon to seal the top and sides where it attaches to the body but left the bottom unsealed so if and water does get in it can run out. Shouldnt take more than a half an hour to do (not including painting) I painted the diamond plate black, I hate shiney stuff on my Jeep, just doesnt look right in my eyes.

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!

G
#14 ·

Hey joker2002 , put the 3 inch on and use some lawn edging inside of the frame to cover up the new found space . You will know what I am talking about if you install it . After the edging is installed you will have to look really hard to spot it . Good luck budy .

stock junky Jeep

G
#16 ·

Here is mine with a 2" body lift and a 4.5 RE suspension.

H8 has a 3" body lift on his if you can find pictures of it.

Body lifts can be funcitional if you use them for a purpose, and usually anything with a purpose will look good on a Jeep./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ & '88 Grand Waggie

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.