Off Roading Forums banner

now i'm gettin' somewhere!

448 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  SAMURAE 
#1 ·
now i\'m gettin\' somewhere!

After getting my s/r on yesterday I just had to slap on the set of 31s I got to see how much they rubbed. Turns out the only place they really rub is on the little metal shield inside the right rear wheelwell that protects the fuel filler neck. If I crank the front wheels all the way one way or the other I can get them to rub on the springs, too, but I really have to try to get them over that far. I drove around up and down bumpy hills and through potholes and raggedy parking lots for about 1/2 an hour and couldn't get them to rub anywhere but onn that little shield. A little more massaging and maybe a 1" body lift and I might be able to get away with it. I'm attaching a picture. Still much to do..got rocker guards to put on and some other little goodies, but I feel like I'm actually starting to get somewhere towards aking this thing a bit more offroadable.

~daxe

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: now i\'m gettin\' somewhere!

Looking good. You should move the body mounts around to give you the 3/4 " or 1" of lift. You going to wheel it with the 31's on it?

Just to let you know, it's an addiction, once you start upward, it's never ending.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

#5 ·

>>>Looking good. You should move the body mounts around to give you the 3/4 " or 1" of lift.

Huh? Move 'em around? What you talkin' bout' Willis?

>You going to wheel it with the 31's on it?

Maybe. If I can get it so they won't rub anyplace, I might give it a shot. If it's muddy I have been told I have no choice. Wildweasel thinks I could do the Floridian with my lame street all-season 215/75s if I air them down and it hasn't rained in a while. Not sure about the gearing issue either with the bigger meats. I know it'd be a nicer ride, anyways.

>>Just to let you know, it's an addiction, once you start upward, it's never ending.

Dang..and I'm an addictive sort, as well. I think I know what you mean..while I was rolling around trying this out I started to feel this little pang of invulnerability sitting up there...this kind of predatory sensation looking around at stuff and thinking..."yeah..I can drive over that..."

Oh no..I'm starting to become one of you guys....

:eek:)

~daxe

#7 ·

I did Ma Bell and Beacon last year borrowing mxnhid's Zuks, which were both running stock gears and 31's. His was SOA when I ran Beacon and his wife's was SUA with a shackle lift, and I brought my own 31's to run.

If you look at the body mounts, and I can't believe I'm mentioning this as 6 months ago someone else mentioned it to me (how I've progressed), there is a 3/4" rubber portion below the frame. You simply take this portion off and move it above the frame. The Zuk uses studs that are mated into the body, so to go larger than 1" you'd need stud extensions. There is a writeup on body lifts at Izook I think.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

#13 ·

yeah..something must be happening to me..

I woke up two hours early today and found myself outside painting and attaching a fender flare, a bumper end cap, taking off my grille to drill holes and mount my turn signals better, installing the block off plates for where the mirrors used to be and putting on the proper sized spare. And I forgot to even eat breakfast!

~daxe

#14 ·

daxe- it was like i closed my eyes and saw our ols ZUK when I looked at that photo. We too started out with a light metallice tan hard top,S/R, with some BFG AT's on it... that little bugger is gone from our collection now... an we have the BIG BLUE meany...which was my hubby's until two weeks ago when we picked up a red hard top from billy bob,minus engine,tranny and t-case... that is now my hubby(TATZOOK'S) new project and I have inherited BIG BLUE. Once you get bitten...you are infected and there is no known cure! Your truck looks great!
Rae
Trails Editor
IZOOK.COM

86 SAMMY
33"BFG MTA'S, YJ rear, 3"rears up front, w/breeze droplinks, breeze crossover steering & track bar, DT shocks, locked f&R, 4.16 case, weber, header...HUSBAND BUILT AND WIFE DRIVEN...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.