Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Knock Knock
Thread: Knock Knock
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
unhumen

Knock Knock

If it is a joke it is on me,cause I pulled my tranny for nothing.The knocking noise that I assumed was coming from my transmission input or countershaft was in reality coming from my engine and as near as I can figure it is an Ignition knock.
So today I pulled out the Tac. the timing light and the vacume gauge and started testing ,I have already eliminated the EGR.and the vacume advance is working,tested with a hand vacume pump.So the symptoms are,
it does not knock when the engine is first started and does not start until the temperature is about 145* ,that is when the CTO switches from manifold to ported vacume ,and appx. 1000 RPM .I have detected a slight leak in the accelerator shaft of the Infamous Carter BBD,with the spray carb cleaner method,and it does not drop completely back to 750 RPM unless forced by hand.that is how I know it starts at 1000RPM cause when I force it back the knock stops.also when it does drop back to 750 RPM on its own as I accelerate and let the clutch out it starts and then stops when fully accelerated.this is why I thought it was in the trans.the trans was the last big thing I did thus I figured I screwed something up when I reassembled it.Also my charcoal cannister signal is on ported vacume so I am wondering if it is shot and between the leaking accelerator shaft and possible leaking charcoal cannister it may be causing a lean mixture at 1000 rpm causing the knock
anyone care to postulate a further hypothisis on this matter ?

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome