Off Roading Forums banner

V8 in a YJ...?

1K views 32 replies 8 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have a '95 yj with a dead 4-cylinder and a chevy 350 complete with a turbo 350 tranny and t-case sittin' here in my yard...How hard would it be to marry the two together? Any input would help, thanks...

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, Cal 4.16 t-case, Lkd Frt, welded rear, 8-point Roll Cage, etc, etc.

#2 ·
You could do a search on the topic. But Im almost positive, that a V8 will not fit in a YJ.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.

G
#3 ·
Jeff...too much time on the POR board?/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Just get yourself a Advance Adapter Buyers Guide(free, and you can download if in *.pdf format, in facthttp://www.advanceadapters.com/catalog/catalog.html...here you go). Read up and then ask some questions. It will save us some typing time.

Just remember, that nothing from AA is cheap. There are some cheaper ways of doing things, you just have to know what and how to ask.

You will need engine mounts, tranny mounts, shifters(x-fer and tranny), radiator, hoses, tranny cooler, new fluids, driveshafts(you may be able to shorten and/or lengthen your stock ones)...and this is just a few.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ & '88 Grand Waggie

G
#4 ·
If it will fit in a cj...and it will..then it should fit in a yj. Yes you'll need motor mounts, tranny mounts..or at least move and adapt existing, and other things. But if you did all that stuff to your zuki, or even a lot of it yourself, I don't think you'll have any trouble with the swap. And just think how much fun/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif it will be

#5 ·
I have seen several with Chevy V8's in them. I know it can be done you'll have to do your home work and mabe find a buddy that has done it before to help.

Good Luck

MJ

95 YJ (aka Bumpy Jeep)

#8 ·
Thanks, Elusive
I think the biggest problem is that the extra 2" of frame rail clearance, would mean the engine would fall right out.

Jeff
89 YJ

#16 ·
Yup, I see what ya mean Elusive, a V8 could never be shoehorned into a TJ frame. Just too many curves and stuff.

Jeff
89 YJ

#19 ·
I may have been wrong about not being able to put a V8 in a YJ, look what I just found sitting out in my driveway, under the hood of,..you guessed it,..my very own 89 YJ.
Ooooops,"My bad"

Jeff
89 YJ

Attachments

#23 ·
Don't mind them, they're just pulling your leg.

Jeff, he's talking about a REAL V-8, not a Ford.

Heh, heh, heh...

Of course it'll fit, give v8jeep a shout, he swapped a 283 into his, works well.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

#24 ·
My friend is in the process of swapping in a vette LT1 into a YJ. It can be done!

85 CJ-7 258/T176/D300 Scout D44s F&R with Lock-Rites and 4.56 gears. 4" springs with lift shackles 36" SS TSL Radials Hella Rallye 4000s for guiding small planes into the woods

#25 ·
Ok , now you guys are getting personal, dont ya know your gonna hurt my feelings,..you guys wouldnt wanna make me cry, would ya? Hahahaha
Really though, now that I have had a chance to run the Jeep hard throughout the summer, I gotta tell ya, if I had to do it all over again(the swap), I would do it in a heart beat.
The 5.0 has been a great engine. Its very strong, gets better gas mileage on the trail than the 91 2.5 4 cylinder, that I ran last summer. It pulls very strong and smooth from 700 RPMs(where it smoothly idles) through about 2200 RPMs (it gets a little touchy on the gas pedal above 2200, it just wants to take off). It never gets hot,(runs right at 180 - 200 under any and all conditions). Starts and runs on any angle, and maintaines good oil pressure even when ideling all day long.
I realize there are many great attributes of the SBC, but the 5.0 is a very good mill that deserves some consideration, if your looking for a high performance off road rig. I am finding them in Northern Cal where Im at now, complete with harness, for about $600, all the time, with under 100K miles and 6 month warranties.
NP 435 trannys go for about $250 with a warranty.

OH yeah, Newbies, I was just bustin your balls, Yes a small block Chevy will fit in a YJ, and I wheel with about a 1/2 dozen guys who have done it. Most of them opt to stay with trannys and T cases that readily fit on the Chevy mills, so they usually swap to an axle with a passenger side drop, but you dont have too, if you dont mind spending a little money on adapters. Sorry if I confused any of ya, Hahahaha.

Jeff
89 YJ

#26 ·
Yeah, JEEPN, sure, a 283, that's easy. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif But once you go above that, to like a 305, it starts getting tight. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif That 350 is a nightmare, and then there are those who try for that 400 small block. There's no way a big 400 will fit in there. HAHA.

We all know that more cubic inches is bigger. The small v-8 maybe, but not much over a 283 will fit. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif

Seriously, no worries./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif There are lots of ways to do it. Watch your emissions laws wherever you are too, as different states handle that differently.

The auto tranny in a YJ will handle smallblock power from what I understand, but the standard tranny before like 1990 is crappy. Consider an AMC V-8 as I understand it bolts up to the YJ auto tranny if you've got one.

You can mate a GM auto to a NP231 from the YJ also with an adapter, or probably any number of combos, with the proper adapters.

Good luck
Pete

"Don't fall into the traps laid by society" -- Henry Lee Summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.