Off Roading Forums banner

My GV...and Zookin' pre-run

863 views 35 replies 8 participants last post by  Blacknight 
#1 ·
My GV...and Zookin\' pre-run

Went up to Wildweasel's for Day 2 of Fab Fest. We did a "pre-run" for the upcoming Zookin' outting.

Well, I just wanted to share another trail experience in my GV. I HAD A BLAST!!! The GV is still amazing me. It seems like another grocery getter on the outside, but trust me, they really hold their own on the trail. With the exception of several frame rail slides, she came out with nary a scratch. An blown bead was all I really suffered. A ratchet strap and some on-board air and the bead was reseated and we're were forward moving (and extra big, BIG thanx to Wildweasel)

The V6 power and the variable torque of the auto tranny go a long way. While I'm still open/open diff, the wheel spin is minimal maily due to the fantastic flex the rear end affords me. There were many times I though I wasn't going to be able to make something, but instead she crawled right thru it. I had to take only one go around going in, but made it back without going around anything.

I want to thank Wildweasel, Alan, "Mad" Mxnhid, Jeepn and WSB for being patient and helping out. Hopefully you'll chime in on your own personal experiences, and maybe post a couple pics!

I also want to say that if anyone is considering buying a GV, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Yankee Tim/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: My GV...and Zookin\' pre-run

Tim,
Sounds like you guys had blast. I hope it will be as much fun at the end of the mounth. Just a though what size tires are you running because I now you have the 2.5in lift. I will be running with 225/70/16 which = about 26" and in know you can go up to 29" with just the lift.
Next weekend I will be welding my rocker rail together. I'll let you know how it goes.
George

#5 ·

I'm running Bridgestone Dueler MT's in a 225/75SR16. That's about 29.5" If I remember rightly, you have Pirelli Scorp AT's in 225/70R16, which is 28.4" according to tire rack. So you are very close in tire size to me. Plus, you will want to air down to 10-12 psi to maximize traction.

With the rock rails and skid plate, you'll be able to be more agressive than me. If I had your rock protection, I would have taken much stronger lines. Don't worry, you'll have a blast on this. Wildweasel is an excellent spotter, as are many others.

Are you getting the OME lift? If so, that will go a long way. One thing that will definately help you this time will be removing the front sway bar. A quick removal of four 12mm bolts and two 14mm nuts and the front really gains flex.

#6 ·

The first 1/2 of the pictures are up already. I downsized them to 750 width, so they'll fit on the screen better, and I have the full size ones at the house if anyone wants one. I also retouched and cropped some of them to make them a little better. I'll try to get the other 1/2 done tonight, but mxnhid took about 200 pictures total.

They are at http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?userid={7A3B631D-DC48-4049-86A5-796504B5E3D4}&AlbumId={81286B5F-C3DD-453F-A400-3E424BFEE33E}&GroupId={F7F63B4A-A28C-4071-A592-74AE8B81CB6A}

I'm kinda beat, getting sick I think, these long nights are finally catching up with me. I had a great time, Zuk ran great, and lots off good wheeling. Digital cameras are nice, but a little slow, wish I could have had a picture of standing the Zuk on end, that would have been nice.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

#9 ·

Your welcome I think we all had a blast. As long as I can controll my wheelhop I seem not to break axles.. Knock on wood. I went back to the trailhead the next day to pick up trash that some locals had dumped and did a clean-up on both sides of the trail. Got the lawnmower and TV someone had pitched too. A local stopped and thanked me for doing it,
I let him know it was a 4 wheeler that was cleaning things up. NOT dumping! I just don't want us wheelers to get blamed
for dumping and the trail get closed. So I Guess I have kind of adopted it as far as keeping it clean. Something more people should do I think.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html

#10 ·

Thanks Glenn, that was a lot of trash.

It was a great time, too bad more people didn't show up, they definitely missed out.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

#13 ·

Liked the pics. Let me guess those where the beginner trails ;) . Looks like we all should have a blast! Tim where did you get marks all down the side of your GV??? I don't recall seeing those at Paragon.
As for the OEM lift I should have in no later than 2wk (talk about cutting it close). I have to try and call them to see if I can get them shiped here faster.
George

#14 ·

Those aren't marks, that's custom NYC pinstriping. Amazing, you pay $28/hour to park your car in a garage, and you get it back like that. Happened twice. Not much you can do about it.

I'd keep on the vendor about the springs. Give a call as check the status. If they have shipped, get a UPS tracking number and follow them.

#16 ·

Glenn, did Alan paint the ramp yet? Got to make it look purdy for the event. At least have him goop some paint over the uglier welds so people are not afraid to go up it!
**NOTE** [that last sentence was meant for wildweasel only, if you will be attending this event, do not read it, substitute with the following sentence-]
At least have him paint over the welds so they dont rust.

#19 ·

Geo-

That's great. You'll be in fine form for the event. Being set-up like that, you'll do fine. ANd after last weekend, I don't think the rest will mind GV's on the trail, as mine proved it is capable to off-roading.

Are you getting the OME front struts too? I think they are slightly longer than stock.

#20 ·

zooky, if you ramped your 4,000 lb Jeep and I ramped the 4,500 lb Trooper (4,700 lbs with me in it), I'd say it'd hold a few Zuks, you're welds will definitely hold. Of course, we could really stress-test it with wildweasel's 'Burban, but I wouldn't want to face Sue if it crashes to the ground.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine

G
#21 ·

TIm,Glad to see you finally did some real wheeling with the G.V. Did you add me to the list like I asked you too about two weeks ago.I will be attending 2k1,and asked several times about the waiver form and no answer from you at all,Is there a problem I dont know about?I have left two prior posts pertaining to this and no answer from you what-so-ever.I know you read it because you posted next under mine?Let me know whats going on-PLEASE.Have to get something to drive so I can stop by.Cant get into either truck,I fit in the sam,but need one more inch of travel on the seat rail to be able to drive it.Im still stuck at home with no place to go as of now!!!looking for car with lumbar adjusting seats.let me know about 2k1.Oh yea,your phone broke????

88 Sam I AM(AKA-THROTTLE MONGER)- 1.3+.030,cam,462gears,locked,5in Calmini,2"body
31-10.50's.Yankee-offroad-Hood latches,Bumpers,Rails and armour,Tracker seats.................ECT.....

G
#23 ·

Thanks Jim,I had asked Tim because I have no printer or I could have sent it long ago!!!Thanks anyway!!!!

88 Sam I AM(AKA-THROTTLE MONGER)- 1.3+.030,cam,462gears,locked,5in Calmini,2"body
31-10.50's.Yankee-offroad-Hood latches,Bumpers,Rails and armour,Tracker seats.................ECT.....

G
#26 ·

Dont worry George,it will all work out.Remember its a suzuki thing-I thought you'd understand!LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.