Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - can some teach me how to use a double flare tool??
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 12:51 AM
CJDave
Keyboard Implanted

Re: can some teach me how to use a double flare tool??

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Reaming is just the cleanup after you cut. Deburring might be a better description; it's just removing the little rag that the roller cutter leaves on the inside. There is a little arrow-shaped piece on the back of the cutter for just that purpose. The heavy steel lines are not able to be flared by most flaring tools, but you CAN put the flaring tube rails in the vise to get more clamping pressure to keep the tube from slipping down and sometimes get a steel line to flare like that. HINT: over time, steel hardens and looses it's ability to be "worked", so splitting is common on older tube. I recently worked on a truck which was modified by a professional truck body company and they had refitted it with copper tubing for the brakes. That sort of surprised me. This truck was a retired Coca-Cola delivery bobtail and had; I'm sure; made a zillion stops with those copper lines.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome