Off Roading Forums banner

Dash my hopes...

501 views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  ppillard 
#1 ·
Hey folks, I was tossin' around the idea of pullin' my dash out complete and
replacing it with some heavy duty sheet metal. Right now, it gets in the way
of the roll cage and just annoys me in general. I know shaffer has done this,
does anyone have any info to offer on it? How hard is it? Here's a pic of Shaffer's
dash:

Mike, your input would be greatly appreciated!

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, Cal 4.16 t-case, Lkd Frt, welded rear, 8-point Roll Cage, etc, etc.

See less See more
#2 ·
It shouldn't be too hard. I was thinking of the same thing in Aluminium D/P. If you look, the top of the tub (under windshield) is about flush with the tube cross brace at the bottom of the dash. Seems pretty simple.

It even looks like the heater stuff doesn't stick out farther that the tube, so you might be able to keep the heater too. Dunno 'bout yous, but wheelin' in New England can get quite nippy.

Yankee Tim/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

#3 ·
Yeah, I'd like to keep the heater if I could. Hey, you know that boxy gizmo that sits in that shelf right under the glove box? What is that? Some part of the heater? or some part of the A/C maybe? I've removed everything else of the A/C, and I would like to toss that as well, if I only knew exactly what it was...?

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, Cal 4.16 t-case, Lkd Frt, welded rear, 8-point Roll Cage, etc, etc.

#5 ·
Nah, that dash at Petroworks is just as bulky as my stocker, and I would have to modify it to fit my roll-cage. It looks really good tho. I would rather have a straight panel that goes straight down from the windsheild to just below the steering column. I'll just build my own, and slap the minimum amount of gauges in.

Pillard

#6 ·
The dash is one of the projects that I have planned for winter. I plan on ripping out the entire interior and redoing it. I was planning on making a new dash with aluminum sheet and some new gauges. I was also going to be herculining the tub and possibly putting in some different seats and some sort of swapable rack/seat system in the back.

Mark
1986 Suzuki Samurai soft-top
1999 Toyota Tacoma
http://members.home.net/marvinmartian

G
#7 ·
hey perry get on your computer and draw it up on autocad and i bet we can get jai bird to bend it up for a 30 pack of busch[i don't think that is right]. i will guilt him into it and he may want to copy it himself. hey we got the cab shortened and the frame extended last night. it looks like it will be about a 35" wheel base strech. it going to be bad a$$. later mike

zuks and toys

#8 ·
YOu got it! I've get a few other projects to finish first, but I'll get 'er drawn up. Can't wait to see jai bird's sami. Sounds pretty vicous!

Pillard

G
#10 ·
hey mike, what is the wheel base going to be? 80 + 35 = 115? that's alittle too long don't you think? 100" would be pretty good (i wonder why i think that?!?!)what drive train is he gonna run? sounds like it is gonna be wild though.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's

G
#11 ·
its going to end up at about 115" wheelbase yea it will be long. its going to use a tracker rear with a zuk front for now and a grs 2 t case. 12a rotary with a 5 speed and 5.12s in the pumpkins. i am into the longer is better with minimal over hang. i think its going to kick a$$. we will just have to wait and see. its going to be on some 35x15.50 sxs right now. later mike

zuks and toys

G
#12 ·
The thing in the tray under the glove box is called the "cooling unit". It is part of the A/C. If it was installed according to the manual, your tray has been cut in just about half. You may want to start watching Ebay for another tray. If you sell the complete A/C system (I have seen several inquiries lately), think about throwing in the partial tray.

#13 ·
Thanks Cap, now I can rip it out with confidence! I've been wanting to yank that thing for a long time now. It never occured to me that someone might actually want to buy my a/c unit...hmmmm....I probably couldn't do it. When I first bought my sami, the a/c didn't work, and I just removed every piece of it from the vehicle ('cept the cooling unit, apparently). It really gave me alot more room under the hood to try to staunch the flow of oil that stemmed from most of the seals.

Pillard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.