Off Roading Forums banner

Measurments Please

961 views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  desertrat67 
#1 ·
I need a few measurments if you guys and gals don't mind. If you have a big block chevy engine here is what I need:
1) Bottom of block (where oil pan seals against block) to deck (where intake manifold seals against block).
2) width from outside of top of cylinder heads to each other. Other words, widest point of engine.
3) Length of block

And thats it. Just trying to make sure my frame will be wide enough in the front for the engine. Dont' want to get it all done and go to drop engine in and it doesn't fit/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

See less See more
#3 ·
Jason- I have the tape measure in my hand and am ready to go but I remembered that my BB is a tall deck and you are more than likly going with a short deck. If you still want measurements let me know because you have done lots for me in the past and its the least I can do.....

Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com

G
#4 ·
I got a short deck but wont be able to get back with ya till monday. Why does top of block to oil pan rail matter? What about oil pan? I would think you would wana know were the pads for the motor mounts are too right? If your worried about fitting valve cover measurments? And dont forget the distributor, might be a pain to find out ya aint got room back there

83 1/2ton 350 700r4 soon to be bigger

#5 ·
Der, uh, well, it is a short deck standard big block, need top of block to oil pan rail because I need to know how low the block is going to sit in the frame with the blower and injection on top, I am going to be using the motor mount plates, the ones that bolt to the front and rear of the engine instead of the normal motor mounts, good point about the valve covers, can i get the measurement from there too? I will be cutting out the firewall so I can fit. Stock, I have 40" of engine pay depth from front to rear. I have never had a big block anything so I have no idea what the size of the blocks are. I was going to pick up a blown block or sumpin just for mock up but the machine shops want like 200 bucks for them? For a worthless block? Anyway, does anyone know where to get one of those plasic mock-up blocks that are all tapped so you can attache everything to them?

Jason
Big Willy Style

#6 ·
G
#7 ·
try summit racing for the mock up block. If not them Jegs.

Those are great BTW for custom projects like that. They are light enough to really move around and get into place like you want em without 4 friends and a crane.

Later,
Shaneb

The Roanoke (VA) Times Photo Department
1986 3/4 ton 4x4 'Burban 5.7L Vortec Powered
2000 Specialized Rockhopper FSR

#10 ·
I don't have my magazines with me (I'm at work) but 4x4 power did a swapology article a while back that included measurements of engines and things. When I get home I'll tell you what (if anything) they say about the engine you want. Only problem is that my computer at home died. All I have is a dreamcast that can connect to the internet. I can still type, but it is a slow process (using 2 controller buttons to type on a on-screen keyboard). I don't mind doing it though. I hope for your sake (and mine now that I have offered help) that my wife hasn't thrown the mag. away!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

#11 ·
#12 ·
In reply to:

old one started smokin out the processor/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
Geez man, What kind of cooling did you have? If you're still useing whatever you were useing when the last one blew, I'd get a better Heatsink, Or add a couple case fans into your case, Or both! Proper cooling is vey important to computers, And sometimes the genairic heatsinks, That come with most CPU's just don't cut it!

Come on Come on listen to the 40's talk!

#13 ·
Here you go Jason:
Block length = 24.5 inches
length from rear of block to harmonic balancer = 26.5 inches
length from rear to pullies = 30.5 inches
length from rear to front of fan clutch = 35 inches
width from farthest edge of vavle cover to same = 23 inches
heigth from bottom of pan sump to top of vavle cover = 24.5 inches.

These are as close as i could get to exact measurements. You might want to add an extra 1/2" to inch just for good measure.

oh, and the manifolds added another 2 inches to each sides width.

pics of the V30 which is still for sale or possible trade.

#16 ·
Thanks for all the mesurements, it's exactly what I needed. 298GMC I had a 800Mhz Celeron overclocked to 1100 and I had a huge 4" cube sink with 8000RPM fan, but, I thought I might be able to get up to 1150 and nope. Fried it. Anyway, I went down and bought a ASUS A7M266 Mother Board, AMD Thunder Bird 1.4GHz processor and 256 DDR Ram. Boy this thing is fast/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. I can overclock this one to like 1600 with no problem. Which is what I will do as soon as my new heatsink comes in. I have the other on right now and it is running at 120*. A little high for me. I love this motherboard since you can overclock it in the software and not on the board itself.

Jason
Big Willy Style

#17 ·
#18 ·
waterpump to bell -- 23.5in
oil pan to top of breather -- 33in
pan to intake -- 30.5in
water pump to rear of dist. -- 30.5in
valve cover to cover -- 22in
exhaust man. to man. -- 27in
est. weight -- 625lbs

info taken from oct. 2000 four wheeler

sorry there wasn't more!

#20 ·
WOW! 1100 out of a celly! Thats a good overclock! Yes t-birds are fast as heck! I have a 1200 Bird, That is my moms, But I also have a 900 Bird, That once I get it running, And get myself some better cooling, I'm gonna try to get up to 1100Mhz,(900 Birds aren't really known for their overclocking/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif.) I have to ask though, How loud is that 8000RPM fan? I mean people tell me Delta's are damn loud, And there're only 7000RPM's. Oh and I've heard that while you can get 1600 out of 1400's pretty easy, And around 1800, With soem water and some peltiers, The older 1.33's with the right stepping code (And cooling) can get to 2.0 Ghz, While the 1.4's can't:-(, Anyway signing off for now, Laterz

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifBoomerang Boy, Captain Boomerang, What ever, It's all good!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

#21 ·
Yeah, about 6 months ago I milled a water block for one of my friends. He has a Celeron 800 running at like 1.1Ghz or something like that. Got a 2" cube of alluminum, cut it in half, milled channels through it and bolted it back together and put 1/4" hose barbs on it and run through a in line pump and a 8x10" dual core radiator with 4 4" fans on it. Keeps it at like 80 degrees all day, even under full load. When I overclock mine I will do a water block for sure. Thats if I go over 1600. My goal is to get a small portable refrigerator, pull the compressor and the copper lines out of it, make another water block and hook the copper lines up to that and have it re-charged and put a thermostat on it and say set it for 80 degrees, compressor kicks on until it reaches the temp and it shuts off. But thats alot of work for now. Oh yeah, the fan isn't too bad since my computer is in my closet in my rack and the monitor is in my room.

Jason
Big Willy Style

#22 ·
OHHHHHHHHHHHHH You have a RACK? I LOVE racks!! Got any pics? Here's the best rack system ever IMO http://deathstarmainframe.athlonoc.com It belongs to one of the adminstraters for the forum there. I think it's really cool you made your own waterblock to! I've never heard of someone making their own, Just about everybody seems to just buy a premade one.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifBoomerang Boy, Captain Boomerang, What ever, It's all good!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

#23 ·
Well, since I just moved in to this place I am still in the process of building. Right now my rack has my patch panels for the Network and A/V, VCR, THX Receiver, CD Player, Cable Box. I have a small 5 port hub right now for the network but a 24 Port Dual Speed rack mount switch is on it's way. The amps for the Theater are still in storage in there boxes, haven't had time to get them. They are 1 Carver 5 Channel 150w, 1 Carver 2 Channel 150w, and 1 Carver 1 Channel 1200w for the sub. And the two Rane EQ's will be on there as well. If you can't tell I am real big into Home Theaters and Home Networking. I'll take a pic in a few minutes and repost with them. Heres a little background on my place: My parents live in the front house which was built in 1929. We just finished building a 2 Car 26x26 garage with 10' ceilings and an apartment above for me. I wired the whole place with cat. 6 and my own Structured wiring system that I install professionaly. I ran 4 runs of Cat 6 to the front house to put my dads computer on my network so we can share the DSL. All my money is going into my Willys right now so I don't have the projector or the drivers yet for the theater, thats why I haven't put the amps in yet. No real reason yet. Should be within 2 months all done. The wiring behind the rack is real messy right now since I have all the speaker wires just dangling. And all the RS232 stuff everywhere. Anyway, I'll post some pics in a few minutes.

Jason
Big Willy Style

#24 ·
#25 ·
Here is a pic of my theater wall. The outlines on the wall are the flush mounted boxes waiting for speakers and painting and then grills. And the in the middle of it all will be a 110" 16x9 widescreen format screen.

The projector will be a Mitsubishi X200 that has a native resolution of 1024x768. It will be hooked up as a monitor for my computer so I can play games on it and such with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Jason
Big Willy Style

#26 ·
Wow! That's going to be pretty sweet when you're done with it! I'm also envious(sp?) Of your house! I've alway wanted a garage with an apartment like you've got! I've always pictured mine a little bit bigger,(Like 35 by 35) But hey, If I ever build one we'll se what I end up with/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.