Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - tj door top sliders
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-1999, 07:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: tj door top sliders

Choice between Steel Horse and BesTop, I would go with BesTop. I have a '97 TJ with all the tops and all the doors - exception is the slider you are asking about. I have come to realize that each set up is real good for what it is designed for and not so good at anything else, and it always seems that I need the things that one of the other articles provides, and that other article is home in the garage.
Hard Top: Great in bad weather, great for staying clean (stuff inside the veh, like people), great for enjoying your sound system and great for keeping unwanted people out of your Jeep. Terrible for removing, terrible for enjoying the elements, terrible for not looking like a Jeep (run around looking like a family station wagon, not a real Jeep) and the worst thing is it's an on/off situation. You have to take it or leave it. There's no inbetween.
Factory Soft Top: Pretty good for keeping the weather out, fair for keeping clean, can be taken everywhere and raised and lowered at will, but when raised is noisy, easily broken into and when lowered is in the way and looks funny. If you take the windows out and leave it up, it still looks funny and rattles worse.
Bikini Top: Good shade most of the time. Worthless for anything else, but looks better.
Full Factory Doors: Quiet, roll the window up and down, very good in all kinds of weather, but still looks like a family station wagon, not a real Jeep. They are heavy and cannot be carried in the Jeep if removed for that real Jeep look and feel. Only thing they are good for is rolling the window up and down.
2-Piece Factory door: Looks a lot more Jeepy, very good arm rest on top of the door. You can look out of them without seeing them because they are so much shorter, but the window part really sucks, but it does remove and is easy to carry. Both halves can be carried in the Jeep reasonably well, and the bottom half is light enough to handle easily.
2-Piece BesTop fabric doors: Mine should be here tomorrow. Will let you know. My full doors have been taking up garage room all summer, my hard top for 2 years, and my factory soft top is taking up room on top of one of my shop machines. Have opted for the Safari top, 2-piece soft doors, wind jammer behind my head and a large Tuffy cargo box in the back covered with a BesTop toneau cover. I'm gonna try that year around in all kinds of weather. Can take it all off and carry it or choose different combinations to take off or leave on and still carry all the pieces and parts easily, and any combination still looks like a Jeep. Security is not a problem because I lock everything up in a center Tuffy console or in the back Tuffy cargo box, and I seldom leave it anywhere that is a likely break in spot.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome