Off Roading Forums banner

Who else hates dealerships

1K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Here is my story, long story short i broke my engine and needed a new one. My parents own my tahoe so they lent me the money to buy and engine, so i bought a 350 crate motor with 330hp for cost through some freinds. My parents insited that it be dealer installed and that they would pay for the install. So i took the car to my local chevy dealership and they decieded all by them selves without asking me that they didn't want to put the new engine in, because of various reasons. So they went a got a 255hp stock replacement in, which pissed me off like no other but i got over it. So i go and pick up the car today and my parents pay the $1800 instalation charge. When i got it home i noticed that they had broken the alam and the 4wheel drive system, so the car has to go back for yet more work.
What really pisses me off is that i have a freind who is amazing with cars and was willing to help me install the engine for about $800 less oh and i would have been able to put the 330hp engine in that way.

SO THAT IS WHY I F***ING HATE DEALERSHIPS

97 2dr Tahoe,All terrains,Flowmaster, more to come.

#2 ·
Dude... what the hell is going on with that dealership??

What happened to the 330hp motor??

Didnt you sign an repair order for the install of the crate motor?? Dealerships cant arbitrarily (sp?) put another motor in at the drop of a hat. If they decided that, get back to the dealer and tell them to put your crate motor in. Any lip service, get some legal advice and get all your money back. If they have the motor, can you say grand theft??

Dont let them string you along... I work for a GMC dealership for 6 years. Treat them like a red-headed step child and get what you want, not what they think you want...

That really blows.......

95 4Runner..suzy stocker until tax return..............

#3 ·
I'd be curious to know what some of the "various reasons" are. Did they tell you why they wouldn't install it? Or just hand you some kind of BS?

It doesn't seem like there should be any real difference between the installation of the 2. But that's just me, I have never tried anything like that

JaxZ71®
94 Z71 350, Xcab, Sportside, 285/75/16 BFG AT, 16x8 AR Nitro, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Trailmaster 4" lift.
Lousy glasspacks and rusted Westin step bars /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

G
#5 ·
Mom and Dad changed the engine, not the dealership right? Just trying to understand. Being a Parent I dont think I would want my kid to have 330hp. Good luck with getting it fixed. I think dealerships are overpriced but they can be held accountable for fixing it now, your friend cant be.

http://www.cirent.com "Bubba Tub" 1977 K10 d60-14ff Np203,th350,350 Stock,6" lift,39.5" SS

#6 ·
the reason they may have decided not to instal the 330 hp crate motor is that its (I think) a carbed motor with a lopey cam and will more than likely screw with the fuel injection system and would end up costing more because the inginition would have to b e reworked to work with the carbed motor.

Also the 330 hp figure is more than likely its peak power 5500-6000 rpm, something it probably wouldnt see in the tahoe.

this is all kinda a guess, but from what ive seen with the 330hp motors is their not fuel injected, and most hp figures are taken when the motors wrapped out.

Evan

IF ITS GOT WHEELS OR A SKIRT YOU CANT AFFORD IT

#7 ·
Major Bummer. /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

The only time my parent's send their '94 Olds in to the dealership is to make repairs that I can't./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif All the rest of our vehicles are under the loving care of myself. Maybe that's why they're both rusting gently./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

--Drew
83 S10 4x2
I AM CANADIAN!
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G
#8 ·
Thanks for all the advise and kind words.

Here are the details, the engine produced its power and torque the same rpm as the stock engine. They told me that it was missing a computer hookup and was suppost to be carborated. Now all that and what ever other reasons they had could have been over come but i think it was just a little to complicated and iffy for them to get into. So i don't really mind them not putting it in. But what still pisses me off was that they didn't consult with me before they returned the engine and got the stock replacement. So anyway the new engine was $400 less so we are getting that money back.

#9 ·
It all goes back to "Dude, What the hell is going on with that dealership?".....

Talk to the Service Dept manager and tell him that you are upset that they made a change to your work order without consulting you. If you don't get any satisfaction from them, then take it to the regional GM office in your area. It might be a bit of a hassle, but if you are calm and polite then they might just throw you a bone. (i.e. a free upgrade of some sort, a break on the labor, etc.). If you are happy with the new engine, tell them so, but don't let them forget that they should have consulted you on any changes

All these dealers like to advertise about their "Customer Satisfaction" rankings. Try to play that card.

Just my 2&cent

JaxZ71®
94 Z71 350, Xcab, Sportside, 285/75/16 BFG AT, 16x8 AR Nitro, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Trailmaster 4" lift.

#10 ·
#11 ·
My point is that they still should have contacted him before installing a different engine. You gotta keep the customer satisfied (not happy, just satisfied). This is one of the reasons people don't like to get their service done at dealerships. No offense to anybody who works at one and I don't blame the mechanics, because this is more of a Customer Service issue. Isn't that what the dealer gets the big $$$ for????

JaxZ71®

G
#12 ·
If I was the parents, I would have said something along the lines of "boy your not getting that engine." Then I woulda gone into the Summit Racing Catalog and found a blown Merlin 540 or something sick. But he'd have to buy his own tires though.

1985 Scottsdale 3/4 ton
14 Bolt SF, SM465/208, 355 CHEVY

G
#15 ·
If its the 330hp motor that is so popular right now then it would have been a vortec headed motor.

I think that it would have bolted right up and run like a bat outta hell with very little problem. The cam is big, but it ain't that big. A power programmer would have taken care of any problems with the fuel injection.

HOWEVER, I have never heard of a dealership that would install crate motors. They tend to frown upon such things because there can be some minor "customizations" that need to be made. Maybe your parents knew this?

In any case, throw a fit because the dealership did not advise you of the changes, but then get it fixed and be glad that your mom and dad are kind enough to help you out and provide a car for you in the first place.

BTW, What did you do to the original motor?

later,
Shane Bevel

The Roanoke (VA) Times Photo Department
1986 3/4 ton 4x4 'Burban 5.7L Vortec Powered
2000 Specialized Rockhopper FSR

G
#16 ·
All i can say is, i knew the people on this forum were nice and inteligent. But you guys are really helpful and everything you have said is spot on and i thank you guys for all your points of views or 2c. Here are some more details. The biggest problem is that the rv service manger is my freinds dad and he really helped me get good prices for the engine and stuff. Oh and i don't know if i already told you guys but the alam system is dead along with the 4 wheel drive sytem. Oh and the engine did have vortec heads on it and it is the 330hp gm performance 350 high ouput base crate motor. Basicly the reason they didn't put it in cause of emisons like one of you said, but the car still would have passed emisons anyway. But i guess understand there situation. But it turns out the mechanic is exprianced mecanic but a new comer to the dearlship and he is apprantly going to get his ass kicked for messing up my 4 wheeldrive etc.
I still have the old block, it runs and i am looking for a buyer.
I will be glad to anwser any question if anyone is interted in the block. I am also very grateful for my parents loaning me the money to buy the motor.

G
#17 ·
Would be VERY interested in buying the Vortec heads off your old motor. Email me @ shaneb@unt.edu

BTW, if you have the old motor and it runs, why did you get a new one?

Later,
Shane Bevel

The Roanoke (VA) Times Photo Department
1986 3/4 ton 4x4 'Burban 5.7L Vortec Powered
2000 Specialized Rockhopper FSR

G
#18 ·
My friend has already got dibs on the heads iam affraid but maybee you would like the block instead, it runs but it just knocks a little thats why i got a new one. Well actualy it knocks quite alot, they said it was the number one or two main drive bearing but it hasn't thrown anything yet.

#19 ·
Legally the dealership could not have installed that 330hp emissions illegal engine into that truck. They can get into some deep $h!t about it... Up to $10,000 or more in fines and probably wind up under close scrutiny by the emissions nazis for years to come...

Although it was certainly not acceptable of them to simply decide what they put in. They should have told you they couldn't put the emissions illegal engine into it, and talked with you about other options. Don't be surprised if you can find no shop at all that will install the smog illegal engine in it for reasons mentioned above... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column

#20 ·
Emissions...Just got to hatem.Thats why they would not put the 330 hp engine in.It comes under tampering with the emissions controls.First time fine is $25,000 dollars.I remember a time when I was young at the chevy shop.Friend of a frind put a 400 SB in place of a 350 SB under warrenty.Soon as the zone rep. saw the part numbers on the ticket he hit the roof.HE called the customer and sent the tow truck for it and had a tech take that motor out THAT day.Then he ordered the proper 350 and had that installed after when it came in.Dealerships do not want the proplem of doing engine tranplants and hot rod work.

G
#23 ·
I'm betting the 330 HP crate was not approved for your truck and the dealership would not install an engine they couldn't warranty. What kind of warranty was you friend offering. I agree that for the most part dealerships suck but I use them every chance I get to do free warranty work. Most of the time they go overboard on replacing stuff because they get paid back by the manufacturer.
Better Luck nextime

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.