Off Roading Forums banner

J PU Question for the knowledgeable

1K views 12 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
What year did they make J series pickups till and when did they stop putting t15 and dana 18 cases in them? Thanks for the help.

G
#2 ·
Made FULLSIZE Jeep trucks untill early '88 model year, although those were most likely leftover '87s. I believe they came with 3-speeds untill '79 (had one) but not in '80 (have one). Changed automatic transmissions and transfercases then too.

G
#4 ·
Dave was right about '88/87 issue. '87 was the last of the J-series trucks. Apparently a "price schedule was released for '88, but none were made. Remember...in early/mid '87 was the Chrysler deal to take over Jeep. Thus, the first fatality in the Jeep line was the full size pickups! J-series were first made as '63 models, so run was '63-87. Basically, 60s, 70s, and 80s had different drivetrains. The T15s and T18s were pretty much a '70s thing. They were last "regular" in '79. 1980 saw a total changeover in trannies and t-cases! However...I believe "some" T18s were still put in J-20s of early 80s, though they would have had different "bolt patterns for the t-cases than 70s models! T15s were last in 1979(great trannies...I've had two and love 'em!)ALL manual tranny models of the 70s used the Dana/Spicer 20 transfer case! 1980 everything switched over to NewProcess t-cases. Not sure why you're asking, but parts from 70s models don't "readily" interchange with 80s models...a lot of parts do, but some don't, so you want to know for sure before venturing into something! PS...dana 18s(t-cases were NOT used in J-series, but in the FC-series trucks....those old Forward Control units!).

Michael
('78 J10 Longbox, 4spd, 258cid)

G
#5 ·
Thanks for the great answer to my t15/dana 18 question. The reason I needed to know what that I've come into an AMC 360. I was told it was out of a J10 but know no more than that. It is for certain a 360. I'd assumed it was a T15 tranny ...it is a 3speed anyway and the transfer case is a dana 18 ...it is stamped. In order to buy the appropriate replacement parts, I need to know what I have. You said that the dana 18's were never offered with a T15 tranny? So what years were the dana 18 offered and or with what trannys? I'm almost certain that my engine is a 360 based on the numbers I've pulled from the valve covers. Is it possible that I have something else? Thanks for the time and any help you can give me.

G
#6 ·
Could you post the engine ID number(little tag on valve cover)....I, or someone else, could probably do a little deciphering on the code for ya! That way you might know exactly what "year" this engine is. As for the rest of the combo...it doesn't sound "right". 360s were only used from like 72 to 87(and 'til 91 in Grand Wagoneers). Dana/Spicer 20 t-cases were the "standard" transfer case from 63-79. Some Dana 21s were used in Wagoneer(with auto) as far as my data shows from 63-69. Dana 18s were used in the Forward Control trucks...those big front end cab-overs Jeep made(from 57-64). These FCs used a T-90a or a T-98a tranny. T-90 and T-98a trannies were also used in some other full size Jeeps. I'd gather there could be some "interchange", and it IS possible that someone might have already done some changing to your setup. Remember though that engines from the 60s are different than the 70s/80s combos! It "sounds" like your engine/combo is from the late 70s...that is also the most "popular" era for Jeep pickups! For parts, you'll want to stick with pre-1980 stuff....it's most likely to match up! ESPECIALLY transfer cases....they went from passenger drop to drivers drop in 1980...VERY different setup! The 360/T-15 is a heck of a combo...I had that in my 77 Cherokee. Have had a 258/T-15 in a 77 J10 recently as well...another good tranny/engine combo, but not quite as gutsy as the 360. Have recently acquired the 78 J10 with a 258/T-18 combo, and doing a little "fixing up" before making it a regular driver....should be a good truck though! MOST of the 70s engine/tranny combos are about as simple for swapping as you can get, but some minor issues need to be take into consideration on some things, like 258->360 swaps require the 360 bellhousing and a 360 radiator, and maybe motor mounts, but otherwise are bolt ups! Let us know what your engine "code" is and I, or someone else, can give a shot telling ya what year you've got! The rest of your combo may need some "thinking". Have you checked the Off-Road.com "Jeep Tech" section? They have info on the engines/trannies/t-cases offered, AND some details on each...though they "focus" on the CJ/TJ types(what else is new?), but it's a good resource! If indeed it is a T-15, you "should" have a Dana20 attached to it! What are your plans for this engine/tranny combo?

Michael

G
#7 ·
Thanks again for your time. My plans will most likely disappoint as it is for a CJ. Not to worry though, I'm in the process of buying a wagoneer right now. I don't own one yet, but I love the look of the old FSJ's. I have gone to http://www.off-road.com/~ifsja/ and identified my engine with the help of another jeeper as a 78 according to specs. My valve cover has the tag: 207N25 I didn't even think to take the numbers off either the tranny or tcase but will try to get to them in the next few days and get those numbers as well. The biggest part of my problem is finding out if my engine is the newer block style. I want to order a new intake but can't fit it on the older style block. As well, my t150 tranny could use a rebuild so I was jsut going to rebuild the t15 and use that in my jeep instead. This is of course assuming that I do have a t15. Again, I'm not entirely sure if this setup is actually from a J series truck. That is just what I was told by the seller who was told by the previous owner.... so I'm going through a few people here. Technically speaking I'm fairly well off for this swap. I just want to know what I have and after I figgure that out I can decide what to use and to toss. I'd like to use the 360, t15 and d20. I'll need to get a new shorter output shaft to fit my CJ but the one in it is stripped clean off anyway. If any of this has helped decipher anything, let me know. Otherwise I'll get the tranny and tcase numbers asap and maybe they will help out. Thanks again, Brian

#8 ·
No shame in putting that beast in a CJ!!!

what older type block are you referring to?
as far as I know all AMC engines in the 290,340,360,390,401 family parts will interchange with the exception of a exhaust head port change in the early 70s ( I think) the really older AMC engines like 327 are totally different..

all AMC 6 cylinder, and V8 engines share the same bellhousing bolt pattern, but all are balanced differently, youll need a flywheel specifically for a 360

I kind of doubt its really a dana 18 Tcase you have, as stated earlier it never came behind that powertrain...

It should not be hard to find a T150, or T15, and a dana 20 if you dont actually have them now, in fact Ill give you mine for almost nothing after i find a T18

ozarkjeep
1977 CJ5 looking for T18

G
#9 ·
I have the appropritae flywheel and also a t150 d20 combo in my jeep now. I'd like to use the 360 t15 and d20-that is already in my jeep. If not I'll just keep using my t150 in the setup. I'd like to figgure out what I have partially just so I know. As far as my worries about parts are things such as crank as tehy can't be interchanged can they? But I really want to know what year the tranny/tcase is so I can get the new gears for the tranny and rebuild it if it is a t15. The tcase I'm just really curious about now. Thanks once again, Brian

#10 ·
interchange a crank?

sure you can, a 304 and 360 use the same crank.. ( same stroke even)

you can put a 401 or 390 crank into a 360 with a little machine work to make a stroker..

here goto this site

http://froadin.com/

its really good tech on the AMC V8s

maybe goto offroad.coms Jeep tech pages and visually ID your trans a Tcase

ozarkjeep
1977 CJ5 looking for T18

G
#11 ·
Here\'s all the info

Got my numbers.
Tranny:
3-07-065-901
Tcase:
DANA
18-15-24-8
and
C-18-19-??
I thoght the case had said DANA 18 on it but I was wrong, it said DANA and then the 18 was part of the id number.
Now, can anybody help me out more here?
Thanks again for all the help so far, hope you can help me identify what year and model stuff I have here.

G
#12 ·
Re: Here\'s all the info

OK....sorry I haven't been on in a few days, but looks like some other folks with good info are helping with tidbits I might not know. I'm not offended you're putting the engine/combo in a CJ...hey...better to be putting an AMC engine in ANYTHING than to put a non-AMC engine in a JEEP!!!

Anyway...yep, your engine looks like it should be a 2barrel 360 from July 1978. THAT might be a '79 "model" though, but either that or a '78 model! Either way, it DOES sound like your arrangement should be a standard 360/T15/D20. Unless, and unlikely, someone has messed with the arrangement, that should be what you're got!

As for your numbers on the tranny and T-case, AND some info dug up from the off-road Jeep tech section(which I HIGHLY recommend you look through...check "factory options" under each!!!), here's some other identifying thoughts:

The T-15 is a 3 speed transmission with a cast iron case. It has a casting number of T15 or 1307 and a 1 1/8" 10 spline input shaft. The T-15 has a 1 3/8" 6 spline output shaft. It has a reputation as the strongest of the 3 speeds. (I wonder if the 3-07... is really a 1307???..I haven't crawled under my '77 to look at the casting, so not sure how they look!)

The Dana 20 can be identified by the center rear output, cast iron tail housing, and deep oil pan. The Dana 18 has an offset rear output, other than that, it looks a lot like a Dana 20. The Dana 300 uses a round bolt pattern with 23 spline input, an aluminum tail housing (often painted or covered with grime), and a nearly flat oil pan. Both the Dana 18 and Dana 20 use the "Texas" bolt pattern with 5 bolts holding on the transfer case.

The "texas" bolt pattern is tranny/t-case mount section! It actually has a resemblance to the shpae of the state of Texas...thus the name!!! The input and output lengths might give you a better clue what you may/may not have!

As for the "year" of your tranny/t-case, I don't think you need to worry much....as long as you figure for sure what models they are, that should be good enough for drumming up parts! As mentioned before....the tranny/t-case combo was NOT used after 1979, so only look for that era. You might be able to match up parts from a Cherokee as well, and maybe some CJs of the era, but you need to make sure the inputs/outputs are what you are planning to use!

Hope this helps more!!!

Do take care...
Michael

Michael

G
#13 ·
Re: Here\'s all the info

Yeah, I determined it is with all certainty a t15 and d20. I really needed to know the tranny id because its output shaft is shredded and I need a new one. Seeing what the 360 did to the T15 output shaft is making me excited to get to run it. The Tcase I was curious because the shift linkage looks nothing like the linkage used on my CJ. I guess FSJ's used different linkage? If anybody has a Cj output shaft for a t15 and/or idler gear I'm looking. Anyway, thanks for helping me id this stuff. The engine should be going in before xmas but if it get too hectic I might run a little late. Thanks for all the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.