Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Buying a '77 J20
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 11:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Buying a \'77 J20

A friend of mine is planning to buy a '77 J20. Can anyone give me some hints to look out for? Its a '77 J20 outfitted with a camper. It has 16.5 rims, 401 motor with auto tranny, quadratrac TC with I think a part time system as it has locking hubs. Low range selector on the floor with a swtich on the dash for going from 2wheel to 4wheel. The only problem I can find is a leak in the gas tank. It does have a skid plate on it making me think that the tank might possibly have rusted out from water and crap getting between the tank and the skid. Are the known for doing this? It also has some sort of Auxilary tanks built into the the box walls that automatically drain into the main tank. The truck runs well and looks good although it is obviously that the lower edges have rust that have been painted over. Are these trucks hard to get tanks for? I don't see many at the wreckers but I do see a lot of GWs, will a tank from a GW fit? Any idea what gearing the axles may have? What's the largest tire this truck can run. it has old 9.5 or something like that on it now. Are they any good offroad? Thanx for the advice.

cLAY

cLAY

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome