Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Needing fiberglass painting tips
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 11:32 PM
Smokngun
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Needing fiberglass painting tips

I didn't sand the gel coat "off" but scuffed it well with 400 grit wet paper. Then laid on epoxy primer/sealer, let it dry and shrink for a week, wet sanded, then put on the color. I did the same for all the steel parts except I fully striped them first, then did the filler work, then put on a coat of "anti-corrosion" primer before the epoxy.
I used all PPG products and a one step paint (not a base coat/clear coat). The final product will only look as good as the prep work. Clean well between primer and color with a wax/silicone remover, and wet sant the primer before applying color. The color will NOT cover imperfections in the primer. Make sure the primer looks as good as you want the final coat of paint to look and it will turn out great! My Jeep was my first paint attempt and except for a bit of orange peel (that I know was from not wet sanding the primer well enough[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]) it turned out great. Good luck and post pic's when you've painted it!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo,It's Orange! Now I just have to put it all back together.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome