Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Write-ups on NV4500 install?
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 08:55 AM
Jaffer

Re: Write-ups on NV4500 install?

Dean-
I didn't do a write up but here's a pic of my install.
I clocked the D300 all the way up with a 3 Guys Engineering ring.
I'm told one doesn't need the special front retainer housing for the D300 if you use a ring. The earlier ( pre 1994 ?) NV's have a deeper rear retainer housing and a new retainer isn't needed but a newer NV 4500 has a shallower rear housing and the special TC retainer housing OR a clocking ring is required.
In fact, the 3Guys Engineering guy said to NOT use the custom TC retainer with either NV4500 if you use their clocking ring.
You can either create a new cross brace out of rectangular steel channel then bolt on a new or flattened skid plate or just weld a piece of channel iron to the skid as shown.
We did have to gouge out the right rear corner edge of the tranny cut out in the floor around where my twin stick forks are for a little more clearance.
After that, I got a pair of MORE axel pads and we rotated the rear pumpkin quite a ways up to get a good CV angle going. The front of the skid didn't need any alteration for drive shaft clearance but a CV on the front drive shaft next to the TC is a good idea, especally if you clock it. I didn't do any changes to the front pumpkin angle and am very pleased to say I have absolutely no vibration at even highway speeds.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome