Off Roading Forums banner

5.0 EFI Good/bad years??

922 views 5 replies 1 participant last post by  IN2DEEP 
#1 ·
I'm searching for a beater with a heater, basically I need a 5.0 Ford that I can steal the EFI system, as well as accessory brackets for my JEEP. I found MUDMANIAC'S post recommending an '89 or newer 5.0, but I was hoping somebody would expound on this. What are the differences in 5.0 EFI systems? and what should I look for??

Anybody wanna ramble???

DREW
IN2DEEP 78 CJ5

G
#3 ·
i'm not sure of the years but go with one that uses a mass air setup instead of a map sensor. it wouldn't be as big of a deal if you were going to use the whole motor but being you plan to put it on a different motor the mass air setup is alot more forgiving to other than stock setups. trust me i just went through that with my old 351w. i gave up and got a 99 vortec 350. i know, i know, it's not a ford but it only had 15k on the odometer and it's out of a 1ton. now the only thing in my drive train that isn't from a 1ton is the dana300. hopefully someone else can help you with years. good luck!

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's

G
#4 ·
A 5.0 HO is a 5.0 HO is a 5.0 HO, the difference is in the electronics only. The 89 and up use the MAF in-line with the air cleaner and are more easily adapted to work with performance modifications, you can use the 5.0 HO out of a lincoln like H8 did, or use one out of a Taurus station wagon, but make sure you use the electronics from the 89 thru 93 and you shouldn't have any problems. Hope this helps out. Later.

Bird /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G
#5 ·
You'll want an 89-93 mass air fuel injection system. Prior to 89 most, but not all, Ford EFI systems were speed density. SD systems are not very modification friendly. Post-93 systems are mass air systems but they are also On Board Diagnostic II systems (OBD II). OBD II system EEC's are programmed to monitor various parameters of the engine and the EEC "expects" that these parameters to stay within certain limits. Therefore, OBD II systems are not as modification friendly as the somewhat simpler OBD I system of the 89-93 EEC's.
A good book to read for the scoop on Ford EFI systems, how they work, how to tune them, how to modify them, etc., is "Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control" (89-93) by Charles O. Probst. Amazon.com sells it for ~$20.

Dean
http://www.feepness.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.