Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - July4 in the San Juan Mountians
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Jaffer

July4 in the San Juan Mountians

It was time for the Princess' first real non-towed road trip so we decided to go up to Silverton, Ouray, then over Imogine Pass to Telluride to watch the fireworks.
The trip offered SPECTACULAR vistas and was well worth the trip!!!
Here's my baby all outfitted for Colorado with hardtop, wide flairs and hard half doors ... we go rained on pretty good above Durango but we kept fairly dry despite no door windows [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Ouray was full of Jeeps and people. We had a great dinner at a place called "The Pinon Grill" and spent the night there. I'll give it 3 stars...
It was the morning of the 4th and we went to the community's 4th of July breakfast benifiting the Ouray Search & Rescue orgainization, watched the parade, then we headed toward the famed and much anticipated Imogine Pass.
As I said, the scenery was fabulous ...

And here we are ready to tackle (crawl, actually) the last leg to the 13,100 ft. sumit, the second higest in the USA [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img].
At times I had to avoid looking down the shear drops off the edge of the narrow winding trail. Other times when I did glance down at particularly dangerous points, a quiver of fear would shiver up from my scrotum then lodge in my throat ... Jacque just kept her eyes closed !!! ... she's turning out to be a real trooper [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]!

The prize at the top were the fabulous 360 degree views!!!

We got to Telluride in the late afternoon, had dinner down town with friends who live there ... our table was right next to Darrel Hanna and company!! woo, woo!!... then saw the most spetacluar fireworks show I've ever experienced.
The whole town plus a few thousand visitors all went down to the end of main street to the community park when it got dark.
The mortars were set only slightly higher than the crowd and quite close buy.
The shells exploded almost directly overhead ... the closest I've ever been to any and the explosions thundered and echoed off the steep mountain cliffs that surround the town. WOW! ... we're going back for more next year for sure!
What a great trip!
We'll just have to wait and see what Jacque writes as her impressions of this adventure ... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome