Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - CJDave, GC question
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 11:51 AM
CJDave
Keyboard Implanted

Re: CJDave, GC question

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Having just rolled over 100K on the GC, I have this to say: "All of our assumptions proved to be correct." It took my son Pete and I about three weeks to pore over the specs and decide what to order. and we hit it perfect for the job that our GC has to do. First....we wanted open center FWD...so we got the 242 transfer case..Select-Track. Then, fuel mileage was super-important (we drive 27K per year) so we got the highest gear we could get. 3.54 axles with 27% overdrive behind the locked-up auto tranny. Next we made SURE we did not get climate control....a HUGE pain in the butt...I was a Cady guy before this and I've had enough of climate control. THEN we concentrated on getting rid of WEIGHT....for snow we don't need the skid plates, and they keep cool air away from the boxes, so we didn't get skid plates. By going with the 4.0 we dropped 270 pounds off the FRONT axle, giving us almost 50-50 front-rear in snow with a full fuel tank. We got the Laredo package because so much comes standard that upgrading was not necessary. To be perfectly honest, if you were just interested in plowing through mud and snow to get to the mail box or to town, the XJ (Regular Cherokee)is actually adequate. The added 750 pounds of body weight and A LOT of soundproofing, howeve, makes the ZJ (Grand Cherokee) a comfortable road machine...with ONE exception....you sit about three feet above the center of rotation, and the vehicle has a tendency to toss you side to side A LOT. Your coffee cup in the console never moves(it is at the center of rotation) but you pitch side to side. Now the new ones have a lot of changes and one that I do NOT like is the high rear floor. They moved the spare underneath, and raised the floor. The tire is too low and the floor is too high. Space for luggage IS a problem in my Grand Cherokee....even with the space-saver spare, but I would still not want the tire hanging down there. The new models may still have Select-Trac available, and it is just a super, trouble-free case. On the upgraded LIMITED, Quadra-Trac II is standard, Quadra-Drive is optional. On the LAredo, both Quadra drives are optional. Quadra-Trac II divides the power front to back automatically in the transfer case, putting the power where there seems to be traction; on Quadra-Drive, it divides in the t-case AND the differentials putting power ONLY where traction seems to be present. Both systems are complex, and use the gearotor type of coupling to sense slippage and select the power path to the wheels with traction. If I were you, and FWD is NOT really a critical need, I would opt for Select-Trac anyway, just to make the CG worth more later on. There is no penalty for running all four if you want to, and in 2WD is is a real mileage-maker. I can easily get 24, and if I really try, 25-26 in our 3800 pound GC. Get the smaller engine to save weight and fuel. Our 4.0 has pulled our CJ on a trailer with a combined weight of almost 5,000 pounds up to our mountain hideout, where we climbe 2500 feet in about nine miles. I stuck it down in low range to make it easy on the tranny, but I had plenty of power with all four driving and the Select-Trac in 4LO. Hope this helps somewhat[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Oh....and one other thing....we spent UNDER $100 dollars on repairs for the first 100K....we had to replace the tranny cooler hoses.....one of the fittings was not holding well......and we had to replace the battery. Now it is about ready for maybe a transfer case chain and alternator brgs, and several other pre-emptive type maintainance operations. What do I like the most about my Grand? Driving RIGHT BY the rest of the junk...and I mean ALL of them....in snow with the 242 transfer case. The excellent ground clearance and weight distribution, AND......a "TRUE" front axle, which somehow...and I'm not sure why or how....makes a HUGE difference in getting through mud and snow[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome