Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Fixed noisy lifter during head change
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
TiminMb

Fixed noisy lifter during head change

Nothing radical here. Just a rebuilt motor (4.2L) that ticked on one valve since day one. Drove it like that for nearly 3 years. Changed pushrod, rocker arms, tried shims, etc. Nothing worked. Finally decided to freshen up the head and when I had the old one off I put in a single new lifter. Voila! Nearly silent engine. Definately no tick. Now it's time to see Midas about that lifetime warrranty on my muffer. It rattles just off idle.

By the way, my motor will actually idle smoothly at 400 RPM with the Motorcraft carb. Musta had some slight intake leak cause after I changed the gaskets it idles even slower.

Can't wait to get the 4.56 gears in. Axle has been in the shop for over 2 weeks. Time to give them a call. Summers here, and that my time to crank the wrenches in the driveway and fix all that ails my favourite vehicle.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, Lockright, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, AMC 20 1pc axles, GM dual diaphragm brake booster

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome