Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Painting w/farm implement paint....
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 09:10 AM
jeepfiend

Re: Painting w/farm implement paint....

I have always used plain old laquer thinner. The mix is often around 1:1 or with just a little more paint than thinner. I spray it with my primer gun, don't want to use my nice chinese gravity feed[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. As far as primer goes, I have used everything from bomb can to epoxy to nothing. The epoxy jobs have always lasted longer (typically the topcoat goes away, and I am left with a nice epoxy green or gray finish. For a lot of the pieces we painted, we didn't use any primer, and the paint would usually last as long as the part we painted. Some of the parts are in highly corrosive environment(i.e. irrigation weirs and that sort of thing). Just don't expect the finish to look showroom smooth, or have a nice shine to it. I have actually polished the stuff with a buffer, and it doesn't look too bad. I will probably use some industrial enamel to topcoat the POR15 on the CJ2 frame.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome