Off Roading Forums banner

Engine boggin/stalling

680 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  lilzeus 
#1 ·
My sidekick (1.8L MFI engine) recently started acting funny. When I'm moving & then stop, the engine bogs down to 300RPM or so for 5 seconds or so, then gradually comes back to normal speed. It seems to only happen when the engine is hot (after driving 15 minutes or so). It stalled today for the first time (started right back up). Anyone know what the problem might be? Fuel filter was recently replaced & I installed new spark plugs yesterday.
Thanks,
Derek

#5 ·
Sounds like it could be a vacuum leak. I',m not familiar at all w/ the Sidekick engine setup but some mechanical things could be:
EGR valve - Does it idle rough when it is hot?
Vacuum diaphragm in the power assist on the brakes (not likely but might be worth checking)
Might check all the vacuum lines.

Does the Sidekick have a computer that registers system problems? If you have a Haynes manual it should have something on this. Maybe someone else on here knows. -??

I'll be back.

#7 ·
Check your fuel filters, There may be one in the tank for all I know too. Sounds like you are getting vapour lock of a sort, or going lean. Check That your o2 sensor is connected,
airfilter clean and nothing in the airbox etc..Make sure all your fuel lines are where they are supposed to be. and if all that fails run some injector cleaner through it.
Good luck.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html

#8 ·
It's a 97 (OBD II) I've been looking at buying a scan tool anyway, guess now's the time. The check engine light's not on. Seems like it would be with a bad sensor, but maybe not :)

I did check all my vacuum hoses & all seem to be fine. Checked out the egr valve per the intructions in the chilton book & it seems to be good.

G
#10 ·
Yep, to narrow it down, look for fuel or vaccum related problems. From the pump all the way up. Since it does it when you are braking, the vaccum diaphram for the brakes is an interesting possibility. But its almost surely vacuum or fuel delivery related. That includes injection and intake components.

ICQ# = 3859170
There's a new Sami website in town, and its...
http://members.home.net/micahis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.