Off Roading Forums banner

Participated in a BLM meeting last night

433 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
Talk about frustrating.
There was a very good turnout of Fourwheelers and very few greenies.
They basicly told us 97 more miles of designated off road trails were gonna be closed for further study.
Drainage infrastructures was their main reason for most of the closures.
The closure of Surprise Canyon was also discussed.
The BLM staff really just tells you their plan, and then listens, and takes notes, as any concerned participants voice their views.
There(BLM's) reasoning and arguments, for prompting closures, are unbelievably one sided, under studied, non practical.
I suggested that if drainage and trail maintenance was the main concerne. Then why dont they produce a comprehensive maintenance schedule, including diaghrams of excactly what the different slews, retaining walls, bridges, etc, and a map of what needed to be done. This schedule could be issued to a consortium of clubs in the state, and then individual trails divied out to local clubs. the progress could be observed by BLM and the consortium managers, to assure that deadlines and quality control was kept up to specs. This would cost minimal amounts of money to the public, and would put the destiny of our trails back in the hands of responsible, off road enthusiasts and their clubs. I explaine dthat they would be extremely surprised at the type of resources and man power that could be mustered, year in and year out, if we were just given a chance.
My plea, basicly drew applause from the participants and an unenthusiastic harumph, from the powers to be.
I sure do sypmphasize with all of Brads efforts to try to help keep our heads above water as the relentless greenie tide rises.
Very frustrating

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.

See less See more
G
#2 ·
The southern 4wd assn. bust their butts to keep the run-off out of the trout streams in NC , they haul dozers and hoes up those trails, and spend their weekends keeping the trails up to spec. The parks service relased the last study and said the water is cleaner now than 5 years ago, but the fish are still not doing well enough. It's all politics and other types of lies.

G
#3 ·
It is not about maintenance, species, or ersion. It is about land closures. Surprise canyon closure may end up prevent ANY access, even on foot.

Ever here of Bill Postmus? He is Barstow area BLM, and one of us

G
#4 ·
Jeff, welcome to the world of VERY frustrating land use activism. If we didn't see the occasional victory (they are all too few) it would be too frustrating to imagine. Engage one of the clueless GAGs sometime, especially the younger ones will make you wonder if they were born that stupid or do they have to work at it. The CA desert thing is a confusing mess. We (ORC) are about to unveil a new service to everyone to help with these issues that are too confusing and time confusing for the average OHVer, you will be able to email congress people, politicos and others involved using well crafted letters.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com

#5 ·
I think it's about none of the above... it's about power and greed... pure and simple. The more they, the government can separate us from what is rightfully ours... the power, the more the government (them) can oppress us. Power is a powerful aphrodisiac not to be toyed with. I've been in enough meetings to know that in 99% of the cases the end judgment is a foregone conclusion.

You can talk till you're blue in the face... you can have logic, charts, tests, or any other evidence at hand that purely rebuts the claim and loose. Why? Because the government can't give power to the governed.

That may be twisted and perhaps convoluted reasoning to some... but look around you. Though I have great faith in our form of government it's made up of people who have become increasingly depraved. I'll point to Bill Clinton as a point of reference. I also have a healthy fear of it of the government because of the daprivity of those who seek power. Fear breeds defense, and defense breeds freedom. I prefer to remain free.

As one other example look in most of your courtrooms. A court is a wing of the Civil government, yet inside the court resides a Military US flag (denoting the court is acting under the jurisdiction of the Military). The flag has the gold fringe around it... A civil US flag does not. There is a subtle but important differnce.

Yep, it pure power. Power corrupts,and absolute power corrupts absoutley. Throw the bums out and get decent God fearing people to run our government.

G
#6 ·
Bill Postmus is the 1st District Supervisor of San Bernardino County--not afillieated with BLM. In fact he has recently gone to bat for the ranchers affected by the lawsuit that closed Surpirise Cyn. He is one of us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.