Off Roading Forums banner

I like my weber...is that wrong??

803 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  4xRonin 
G
#1 ·
O.K. now I know that I might get a little flak for this but I actually like the weber carb I bought. I first tried a Pony but I must be lacking a bit in my rebuild skills because I could not get the darned thing to run right. Anyways after five months of trying to figure out where I had gone wrong I decided to just buy a weber. Booo, Hissss... I know webers suck, but one of the deciding factors was riding shotgun in my brothers weber equipped zuki. He did really well on just about everything. The only problem with stalling came when we were coming down the last part of the trail (he has it mounted backwards) and that was only when we were at a stand still. If we were moving it wasn't a problem at all. The weber I installed does really make a big difference in performance. It accelerates better, Idles smooth, and I don't have to keep my foot on the floor on the freeway. I would recommend it to those who only do some wheeling every month or so and drive them more as a daily driver. I probably wouldn't recommend it if you do alot of hardcore wheeling as the downhill stall might start to annoy you. Overall I am very pleased with it, not to bag on other carbs. I blame my problems with the Pony mainly on my lack of knowledge. By the way I've got a Pony carb ( with all the rebuild stuff already in it) and a stock carb for sale/trade. Buyer beware, both gave me problems but if you're smarter than me you might be able to get them to work for you.

No worries. Life is Good.

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Hey I like my Weber, it is a good carb. I have not mounted mine backwards yet so it will stall going up a hill if you let the RPM's drop down. As long as you keep the RPM's above 2000 it is great, but I did find a problem with it, when I went up Dewoody at Barnwell it tried to stall on me, but Dewoody has extreme angles. All in all it is a good carb, but I can't wait until I get those Mikuni side drafts.

#3 ·
Hey no sweat whatever works.. You might want to try a pressure regulator for the downhill stumble. I have a weber in a box in the garage, I just like the reliability of the pony I have that I wouldn't think of swapping at this point.
(But this is for the hardcore rig..) The way I have the pony set I think it would run upside down.. Of course If the
wiring harness on the truck wasn't FUBAR then I wouldn't have gone to the Pony Either.. Go figure..

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html

G
#4 ·
I was going to convert to a weber from EFI and sell the EFI and get my money back until I found out I had a TBI model

P.S. Did yall even know there was a TBI model cause I sure as heck didnt???!!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs

#5 ·
Different people's opinions are going to vary according to how they use their rig. I loved the Weber carb that I had on the Zuk I sold recently. It had much better acceleration than my stock carbed or my fuel injected Zuk. I planned on swapping it onto my stock carbed '88.5 before I sold the '87, but he wanted to pay extra for it with the Weber. I never had any stalling problems, but I run the river bottoms and woods instead of rock crawling.

Brown29@napigator.com

#7 ·
Studly....
I believe EFI is a generalized term for Electronic Fuel Injection. It covers both MPFI (Multi Port Fuel Injection) and TBI (Throttle Body Injection). The Sami's (90 and up)only came with TBI.
That's just my opinion...I could be wrong....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

#8 ·
I really like my Weber as well! Although mine sometimes has a mind of it's own (stemming from broken homes (2 previous owners), I'm starting to understand how it functions and undo what previous owners did. It suits my needs just fine as my daily driver/workhorse. Heaps of power (comparitively) and easy to work on.
It might be a marriage made in heaven... a needy Weber and my obsessive tinkering.

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

#10 ·
Hey, don't let the whole EFI thing sweep you away. I have a 94 and it stalls . It might have something to do with my reluctance to use the gas pedal. But I'd rather stall than start to bunny hope with 33's and stock axles.

And she doesn't always start up so easy. But that is probably due to the aging head than the EFI.

Yankee Tim/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

#11 ·
i run a weber love it no stalling up or down mounted
backwards fuel pressure reg. tricks from offroad.com on
webers helps lots- i have also run toy carbs and nissan
carbs also what people call nikki carbs but its harder to
get parts for anything other than webers so i keep putting
one of my webers back on never tried a pony at all i could
not find any parts stateside for them--oldzuki

88 spoa samurai/weber/isky
97 sidekick sport
those that can samurai those that can't ?

G
#12 ·
Well I wont be up-grading any time soon to a weber, because I have always been fond of a TBI system...call me freaky but that is just the way it is!

P.S. I just put a post up about 2 barrels!

go to www.webercarburetors.com
and click on mini trucks and then scroll to the bottom and...2 barrells!!!!!!!!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs

#13 ·
this is going to sound stupid, but those of you who are running webers..... Do you guys have to have a fuel pump? do webers require this??

-How many injuries or mishaps have happend after saying to you friends, "Hey, Watch this!!"

#14 ·
I'm not sure if you mean fuel pump or fuel regulator. Every vehicle requires some type of fuel pump. The regulator is another matter. Webers seem to like 3 psi or below. To insure that the fuel pump is delivering fuel at this rate, an adjustable fuel pump regulator helps a great deal. They are available at most auto parts stores and run in the neighborhood of $20.

All Good Medicine,
Crow

G
#15 ·
You don't have to run an electric pump with a Weber. You do have to run one if you have done a 1.6 conversion. I run a one to four pound electric pump with a fuel pressure regulator set a half pound for the trail and one pound for the street. Mine is mounted in the prescribed manner and I don't have stalling problems that I did not create. At the last run I ran on I gave my zuk to a buddy who had never driven a low geared vehicle with lockers front and rear and wanted to get the feel of one. I pointed him to a steep ledge that I had climbed earlier so that he could really get a feel for it. Well, something went wrong somewhere and next thing you know I watching my zuk standing straight up 90 degrees from normal. It stood on the back bumper for a very eerie 3 to 4 seconds (his eyes looked like saucers)and when it finally had four wheels on the ground it was still running. We DID have to pry a samurai bucket seat from his sphincter though.

Scott Whitmore
"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality." Dalai Lama

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.