Off Roading Forums banner

400 small block (pic)

597 views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
well, im getting a 79 blazer with a 400, auto (don't know which one), and full time t-case for $425. the guy says the body is shot, 2 bad tires....basically a good drive train, but loose stearing... what do you think of putting my s-10 body on that, or should i put the drive train in my s-10, and maybe the axles.... or should i sell my s10 and just get a different body for the blazer, this is probably the best idea.... any other suggestions - on a limited budget and would like to be able to sell some of the stuff to get some money back if possible....

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Stepside Totally Stock /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif
'88 Kawasaki Mojave (FOR SALE)/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: 400 small block

If it were me, I'd take the engine, transmission, t-case and axles from the fullsize and swap them into the S truck... /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif I think you'd find less hassles than swapping the body to the other frame and dealing with titling it, etc... V8 S trucks are cool /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Particularly solid front axled ones... Just my opinion... You'd be able to sell your IFS front end parts, your rear diff, your engine/tranny/t-case group, and various other things, such as the computer and the rest of that stuff... /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Plus whatever's left on the fullsize, even things like seats, steering column, ash tray, there are people who would probably pay for such things if they're in decent shape...

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column

#4 ·

want to come over and help tim, i live out by freeland... should be picking the truck up on saturday/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.... think it would hold up to 38 boggers, they make some narrow ones that are only 9" wide....

Craig

'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Stepside Totally Stock /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

G
#5 ·

Ideally, I'd say swap everything over to the S-truck. But, while putting the S body on that frame might cause some title hassle, it might also let you slide a bit on emmissions if you keep it titled as a '79 Blazer. BTW, the tranny will most definitely be a TH350. If it runs at all, I think you are doing great on the price /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

G
#6 ·

Putting the S10 body onto the K5 frame is the easiest solution! The S10s frame is so bastardized because of the IFS that it requires TONS of new or modified crosssmembers, frame horns, mounts, etc! Alls you need for the body swap is your body mounts from the S10s frame, then mark & weld to the K5s. The title should be easier since its still a K5 driveline. Rust free K5 bodies are rare as hens teeth here in the rustbelt, but Ive seen truck cabs on them before with a 4.5' bed. If she'll run, do a sawzall job to the fenders, get some 35 or 36s and go to town! Also loose the top and doors for a MAJOR weight deduction!
As a rule, stock K5 ball-joints dont like any tires over 12.50 wide, or 38" tall. Sounds like an excellent project, and fairly less complicated than an SFA swap on an S10! Good Luck.
A.S.

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers

#7 ·

what sucks tho is when i went to the bank, my funds were a little lower than i thought....i forgot about a couple of bills that had to be paid...so no go /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

Craig

G
#9 ·
If you wind up getting the big blazer be sure to check with your licens branch on the emission laws and the way you would have to title it. I know where I am it is the vin# on the body that they go by on the title. If you do swap over the drive train it is really not much more hassle to put a v-8 in an s-10. Hell you already have the tranny you need. the next thing is to find the offset motor mounts. If you are unsure get the book on s-10 v-8 conversions. When you do it that way you save yourself a few hundred puonds.(less weight=more power\weight= more fun.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.