Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - flat towing a dana 20
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 10:01 AM
CJDave
Keyboard Implanted

Re: flat on a trailer

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Ditto on the surge brakes, Tex. In all the time I have been towing; and I probably have more miles in front of trailers than some folks have empty; I have never really cared for surge brakes. EVERY NOW AND THEN they work. I have always used electric (or air of course) on my stuff. In the old days we had vacuum (non-brakes) which was a joke [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]. I thought about using a single axle to keep the weight down and get less loss from scuffing. I've had some tandems that pulled like a dream, but I was careful in lining up the axles. I was thinking of a no-ramp jump-on trailer that you just get next to a curb or a dip in the street (after all it's a Jeep) and hop on. The main frame IS the deck...two individual tracks only...and the triangle design (looking from the side) makes it strong and Jeep-specific. I could not BELIEVE how much the u-haul I rented weighed! Right at a ton! That, plus the CJ was a load for my 4.0 ZJ to crank up some of these steep grades.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome