Off Roading Forums banner

What does this sound like

942 views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  GODSZUK 
G
#1 ·
When i drive down the road i hear a horrible sound i think in my transmission, it stops when i put in nuetral and coast so i'm assuming it's the tranny. What do you think, kinda sounds like a bearing bitting the dust. Thanks guys.
Marc

88 Samurai, 16 V EFI motor, Dana 44's, 36" Swampers, ARB and Detroit
lockers, custom drop arms, GRS II, 5.38 r&p, Warn 8000, custom bumpers,
leather seats & lots more.

#2 ·
Does it go away when you depress the clutch but still leave it in gear while coasting? I had some tranny problems last month but I just replaced the bad tranny with a new one. I figured it was easier than trying to diagnose the problem.

#4 ·
Bring it to me, I can fix it. And it won't cost TOO much.

Sounds like a trip to Hawaii to me. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Could be the rear third member. You could pull the rear drive shaft and in gage the front hubs and drive it in 4 wheel, High and see what happens.

IMHO, Bobcat.

I Feel more like I do NOW . . . . Then I did awhile AGO! /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G
#5 ·
Ok, it does stop when i depress the clutch and coast, i just rebuilt my t/case, although i didn't replace the bearing that has the shims behind it. Bobcat, what do you suggest it is, you said you could fix for cheap, what's the problem and how cheap is cheap! Thanks guys Marc

#7 ·
Is it worse in 5th gear?

Rodney C
Money Pit: 1985 CJ7 302 V8, T18, D20, D30, AMC20, SOA, Shackles Reversed, 35" BFG AT's, Fiberglass Tub & Front End, And, And, And.........

G
#8 ·
a throw out bearing, that's a easy fix, and you know what, my clutch has been acting funny when i press it in and it makes noise if you hold in the clutch, does anyone else think this could be my problem? If it does sound like it, should i replace it ASAP or could i take a few more little trips if i wanted too. As far a 5th goes, it sounds bad in all the gears but 5th seems the worst just cause that's what i drive in the most and when it's turning 4k, it makes it noisy. Thanks Marc

#9 ·
Sounds exactly like the problem I'm having with my 86 Zuki. It sounds like the bearings
in the tranny are on their way out. The noise kind of sounds like a grinding/squeal noise.
Its really awful! Mine started out being in 2nd, 3rd and 5th being the worst, now it
seems that all gears will make the nosie with 5th gear still being the worst. And of course
mine the noise stops when you push the clutch in making me think that the throwout bearing
is bad. I been living with it for about 3-400 miles so far. Might swap in another tranny when I
take the clutch out to inspect it.

Wayne

#10 ·
A throw out bearing isn't too bad but you'll need to pull the tranny to do it. I'd start with that and see if it doesn't clear things up. My tranny was too nasty to try to figure it out so I replaced the whole thing with a tranny that I knew worked.

If it happens to be the bearings going up in the whole tranny make sure you pull it as soon as possible. It's rebuildable as long as it hasn't grenaded. I understand that it's not too bad to rebuild one of these but I've never opened one up. The junkyard should be able to provide a relatively inexpensive one if you need it...

#11 ·
throwout bearing?

how exactly does the throw out bearing work? i thought it was what the clutch rode on when the pedal is depressed, disengaging the clutch. with this thinking, the bearing wouldnt be in use until you push down the clutch pedal to switch gears, right?

anyhow, someone please set me straight

thanks

Steve
'88 Suzuki Samurai
2" S/R 30x9.50 M/T's
bassmstr99@aol.com
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003

#12 ·
If you cannot tell where the noise is coming from I suggest doing some trouble shooting before pulling your transmission. It is not likely to be the throw out bearing making a grinding or roaring noise... they usually just squeal when taking off and it is not a constant roar. Since you have recently gone through your tcase, I wouldn't look there unless you can tell that's where the noise is coming from. If the noise starts at a particular SPEED instead of in a certain gear or at a certain RPM range it is possibly your rear end. Like Bobcat said, you can take 15 minutes unbolting your rear drive shaft and driving it in 4WD. If it still makes the noise without the rear shaft it is not your rear end.

Brown29@napigator.com

G
#13 ·
i'll give it a go and see what happens. Marc

#16 ·
OK, here's what you gota do. Get a creeper and a long piece of rope. Tie one end of the rope to the creeper and the other end to the rear bumper of an extra car. Lay down on the creeper and have someone drive the extra car down the hiway. Next, have someone else drive your sami and drive over the top of you so you are under the transmission. Next, use a long screwdriver and put one end to your ear and the other end against the transmission. You should be able to locate the noise in this manner.

I think it's call the Will Smith Maneuver from the Wild Wild West movie.

Of course, you always need to keep an eye out for speed bumps. They could mess up your day.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

I Feel more like I do NOW . . . . Then I did awhile AGO! /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

#17 ·
if the noise goes away in 4th the bearings are bad in the tranny the release bearing will make a noise when pedal down put the transfer in 4 wheel to see if the noise changes or goes away if does either transfer case is the prob the tranny bearing and seal kit is around 65.00 from atc transmission parts if you need some help e me
see ya quent (tranny shop owner)

88 zuki,s/r,header,1600,locked in the rear and weber carb. with mitsu seats and 2"inch pipe
87 zuk spoa (new project)
IF GOD IS YOUR CO-PILOT SWAP SEATS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.