Off Roading Forums banner

Hydro. Clutch Fluid??

784 views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I have (unfortunately) an 89 Wrangler with the famed BA-10 tranny!! POS. I have just replaced the hydraulic throw-out berring. What type of fluid have you guys used?? I've heard different opinions on what will work and what will cause failure. Any help and/or info would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Jesse

G
#4 ·
Why?? Where did you find this info. The cap says to use DOT-3, the book says to use DOT-3, my local dealer says to use DOT-4, but they don't have any.
Thanks for the help!!!!!! Very appreciated.

Jesse

#5 ·
Some early 4.0's called for dot3 fluid, and most all of the 4 cylinders used a dot3 spec. A couple of years later, Chrysler was having problems with the fluid boiling in high temperature areas. This caused air pockets in the lines and a low pedal, so they changed to dot4. Dot3 and dot4 are compatable, just the dot4 had a higher boiling point. Now all hydrolic clutches in Chryusler products call for dot4.

G
#6 ·
the cap on my clutch reservoir says use brake fluid dot 3 only and that is what i use. what was your clutch doing before the overhaul? did you just replace the throwout bearing? how was pressure plate, disc and pilot bearing? reason is my clutch has been acting up- doesn't slip but hard to get into gear sometimes and sometimes squeeks when dis-engauged. i feel a clutch job soon!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

steve

G
#7 ·
Well, the first time that I replaced the hydraulic berring, it was because mine blew a seal, and obviously, clutch wouldn't work. This time, the replacement part (Napa), a clip came out, which let the pressure tube come out of the berring, again, no clutch. So, I've replaced the clutch, berring, and pressure plate twice in the last three weeks. Not fun. I'm starting to get pretty good at pulling the BA-10 out of a Wrangler. Not an ability that I'll brag much about I guess. Good luck to you on your job. My clutch worked fine and shifted OK but a little stiff sometimes. Petal took close to floor.
Thanks for the clarification on DOT3-4. Makes more sense now.

#8 ·
Want to convert it to an external clutch assembly? I picked up another (I'm running one on the Scrambler) and would be willing to part with it. I'm also fairly close.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G
#9 ·
After pulling the tranny twice, you want me to pull it again, without being broken?!? What's involved in setting it up?? I didn't know that anyone made one for the BA. More info please!!
Thanks.

#10 ·
I don't even know if it will work, but I was thinking about maybe a conversion if it breaks again, not while it's working fine.

The slave sits on the outside of the bellhousing and moves a lever, which moves the bearing, very simple setup.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.