Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Cooper Tires , Anyone running them?
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 09:43 AM
TEX

Re: Cooper Tires , Anyone running them?

<font color=purple> I've run Cooper STT's for years & they are a fantastic tire. Much cheaper than BFG, better warranty, and they last longer. However, they will get louder once they wear down to about 1/2 tread. At that point, the staggered outer lugs wear down to a similar pattern. As far as picking up stones, probably no better or worse than most tires of similar tread. BTW, as to that warranty, Cooper light truck tires come with OFF-road warranties. I once tore up a sidewall 4-wheeling & it developed a large bubble. I went in to get it replaced & was informed of this warranty. At the time, I'd had my tires for 26,000 miles on a '78 GMC Jimmy with a limited slip in the rear & full-time T-case. A check of the tread depth showed I had 50% of the tread gone, so the tire was replaced for 50% of dealer cost. At that time, (1987) that was $36 for a 31X10.50. The only sizes I'd avoid with STT's is the 85 series tires for 16" rims (235/85 & 255/85). This is because those sizes have a raised center section that essentially makes the tires a "slick" across the middle once you get down to half tread on the outer lugs. This cuts down considerably on usable mileage. Not a problem on "C" range tires though. </font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome