Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Is the millermatic challenger 172 a decent MIG welder?
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2000, 01:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Is the millermatic challenger 172 a decent MIG welder?

The 172 is a 220 volt and I think the specs say it is about 79 pounds. All I know is I can lift it and carry it around. Right now I have it set up as flux because of the welding that I have been doing recently. I've been doing frame plating recently with 3/16" plating and I personally prefer the flux when dealing with thicker and dirtier old material. I had a guy that has been welding for over 50 years told me to give it a try with flux and I like it. A welder generator would be great to have. I figure when I decide to get a big stick or a multipurpose machine I will almost have to get a generator to power them since the welder are 3 phase. I will not buy a used welder unless it is real good shape because I remeber what my Grandfather's stick welder looks like. I will not even try to use it b/c of how old it is and the shape it is in. As for cutting that air arc sounds incredable. It sounds like cutting with a stick welder except it has air to blast out the material. How clean of a cut could you get with it? If I have any cutting to do then I go to a friends work and barrow their stick or oxy-acetylene torch (which I will be buying one this summer). On the topic of cutting what do you think of plasma cutters? I think they are slick, but I also think that they are too expensive. To my best knowledge I can do the exact same thing with a torch for a lot less money. Is that right?

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome