Off Roading Forums banner

2 or 4 stroke...whats the difference?

2K views 40 replies 4 participants last post by  raptor_rider 
G
#1 ·
I know the mechanical difference, but is the difference between the ride type an power..stuff like that? TIA

G
#2 ·
a 4 stroke may go as fast as a 2 stroke in some cases, but it usually takes it longer to get to the same speed and you need almost double the cc's to do it. a 2 stroke is a higher, faster reving engine. you can get more horsepower out of a smaller engine with a 2 stroke. also, the power curves are totally different, with a 4 strokes power curve being stronger on the bottem and a 2 strokes power curve being stronger on the top.

at least thats what i think and thats just my experiences, and i may be wrong. if i am someone please correct me /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Chris /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
'93 Yamaha Banshee (Trinity Stage IV)
'00 Yamaha Blaster

#3 ·
that is about the basics...

2 stroke power band is the key...a 4 stroke is more evenly powered...

much of it will depend on what you are looking for...I LOVE the 2 stroke...

but the 4 stroke is pretty awesome too...

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!

#5 ·
they rev faster so they wear more and they run hotter so the wear more

Large balls...the replacement for displacement/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
-VVickedVVarrior-

G
#7 ·
the four stroke has a very easy to ride power band that has awsome grunt down low and its very smooth in power on up. the 2 stroke will not go anywhere fast at low throttle but as soon as you hit the power band hang on .

#8 ·
if you want a low maintainence motor go 4 stroke...

the 2 stroke motor is a maintainence motor...

if you compare them to women or girlfriends the 4 stroke is the ideal woman because u just ride and ride and do a lil and its happy and it dont mind riding slow :)
the 2stroke...u need to baby and baby and then ride hard and ride hard and ride hard...they are not extremely happy when ridden slowly...they tend to get tempermental...

as for rebuilds, it all depends on how religous u are as to your maintainence schedule and what you use. I have had a 2 stroke motor that I babied and put nothing but yamalube in the bottom and 2R for mixing changed the bottom end every ride(cuz we rode hard as hell) and was extrememly specific on the mix...didnt rebuild for 2 years+...the banshee i have now...i took the head off this last winter after beating the livin piss out of it (and i mean beating it)...everything was well within specs and smooth as a babies bottom...needless to say...I never rebuilt it and when I tried to start it this spring she popped right off and was happy to see me....

so u be the judge...I dont think you need to rebuild as often as many of these jokers do :)

I think they do it to play with their women....ehehehe

AirBorn!!

G
#10 ·
You should learn on a 4 stroke as they are predictable in their behavior.

From what ive seen, if you are into sand dunes and wide open desert, high speed, 2 strokes are the way to go.

For more technical, wooded areas, trails, cruising, a 4 stroke is better suited. It can still do the sand and hi speed desert.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

G
#13 ·
That is a pretty stupid post considering that the DS650, the Raptor and the 400EX (you know, the replacement for the 250r) can all beat the 250r in a drag race. Stock for stock of course. Face it, the 400EX has proven itself "The 250r Beater". I believe that is how they state it in the magazines!

#14 ·
ahhh yes the magazines up holders of the truth always a beacon of inerrancy in the atving world....gosh lets not go here...

Large balls...the replacement for displacement/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
-VVickedVVarrior-

G
#15 ·
First of all the 400ex cannot beat the R in a drag or in a motorcross race unless maybe there is a little girl driving the R. Then tell me why does all the Pros still ride Rs after 15 years. I would like to see a 400ex beat my R.

#17 ·
fourstrokefan...do you smoke crack? I am thinking you are, and not very high quality...the 400EX isnt going to beat the 250R in a straight away unless its a 3 mile strip. The 400EX is a 4-stroke...the 250R is a 2-stroke...that is like saying the 400EX will beat a banshee...PUHLEASE!!!!!!!

we do not want to go here again...the basic reason the magazine (rags) report anything is as to how much money they get from whoever to do the reports...THEY ARE SKEWED!!!! lets grow up here....for ****ity sakes dude...read through the lines like most KNOWLEDGABLE people do!!!!!!

AirBorn!!

G
#18 ·
Airborn,
You and I seem to have a lot of problems. You need to start reading the lines and don't worry about what is between them. Here we go again about the magazines. Why would Honda pay them to say that a Honda bike beat another Honda bike? They surely wouldn't want to discredit their almighty 250r (which is a sweet bike). Secondly, I don't see how saying a 400EX can beat a 250r (which was proven in a 300 yard drag race) is the same as saying a 400EX can beat a Banshee. Are you saying that a stock Banshee would tie or lose to a 250r, I don't think so. So what the hell is that all about? I happened to race my buddy's 2001 Banshee the other night on my 2001 400EX and I will be the first to admitt that I lost. However, the 250r is no Banshee. I think that in the future you need to read people's posts more carefully before you go off trying to be the authority on everything.

#19 ·
fourstrokefan....i have one thing to say to you...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

First: I was not reading through YOUR lines, but rather those of the magazine. Magazines are NOT true when it comes to this versus that and him versus that guy over there...that is a fact...They will give more willingly to those that put more money into their rags...

now a 250R is killer...and yes they can beat a banshee...but to say a 400EX will beat a 250R when a 250R can beat a banshee is pretty stupid and ignorant...

u JUST said and I quote:
In reply to:

I happened to race my buddy's 2001 Banshee the other night on my 2001 400EX and I will be the first to admitt that I lost. However, the 250r is no Banshee.
Therefore tell me how a 400EX will beat a 250R if a 250R can beat a Banshee...NOT logical....sheeeesh....look at what you say....it doesnt make sense!

AirBorn!!

#20 ·
oh and another thing....the 400EX is NOT the replacement for the 250R...the 250R was retired because Honda was afraid of more lawsuits....The 400EX is the beginning of Hondas fight for 4-stroke authority...

**NOTE: To all other Honda and 400EX fans, this was not meant as a derogotory comment to the 400EX, this was merely a statement made by me and no one else. The thoughts and feelings of the above statement are mine and mine only, if others agree then sobeit, if they do not, then sobeit.

AirBorn!!

G
#21 ·
I grow tired of watching you try to twist my words around so you sound like you know what you are talkng about. I have ridden quads for many, many years and have yet to see a stock 250r beat a Banshee. As far as the replacement thing goes. Everyone knows that the 250r has been retired for many years, but Honda has stated that the 400EX was developed to replace the 250r. Not me, Honda! Look know-it-all, I am very impressed with your vast knowledge but you need to pipe down. You sound like a junior high kid who is pissed off becuase you missed recess. I am done replying to you on this topic and any others. Every time my opinion differs form your's, the fight is on. I don't have time to waste on these petty arguements.

READ BETWEEN THOSE LINES!!!

G
#22 ·
banshee gets this one. i mean c'mon, christ!
the guy didn't even fill out his bio. i always can depend on banshee to deal the
$hit straight, and he always does.

You wear your silver chain but the cross won't stop the lies,you believe in nothing
Kenton Thomas,Portal

#23 ·
Airbornbanshee, How can you say that a stock 250R (2 stroke)
can beat a stock Banshee 350 (2 stroke)

I also agree you are Very knowledgable but you are wrong there.
Just to be sure, I just asked my buddy who races quads on the pro circut "High dollar all aftermarket stuff" he just laughed and said the Banshee would beat HIS 250r (just not out handle it/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif)

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

#25 ·
stock for stock a banshee should beat a 250r in a drag ...but in the woods or on an MX track watch out banshee! the 250r is in its element then

-VVickedVVarrior-

#26 ·
Errrmmm...

Uhh, guys i think you went a little 'off-topic'. All the guy asked is which is better 2 or a 4 stroke..
And back to that now. I belive i like 2 strokes... mmmmm, lets see here... 65% more than i like 4 strokes.
2 strokes got more accel, though they are noiser, and smell alot more. But all and all, it dont matter to me.

But thats from a Polaris man.
Which brings me to an OFF-topic question!
WHY DO alot of PEOPLE hate Polaris sport quads?!

Polaris Rulz!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.