Off Roading Forums banner

Fiberglass front ends ??

827 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Jeeper99xj 
#1 ·
Hi all
Anyone running one of those tilt foreward fiberglass nose sections,any feedback pros/cons would be appreciated.My hood has been previously bondoed quite heavily and my fenders are showing their age as well, rusting at the seam and the tub bolt mounts.So I am thinking of just doing the whole thing at once keeping my grill if I could.
I saw a really nice clean jeep at the carshow /swapmeet in Daytona this weekend and it got me thinking about the tilt up nose thing.even though my jeep will never be that clean,It looked like it would make engine work alot easier.
I only found one Rochester 2Gv but you couldn't throw a stone and not hit a 4 barrel carb and manifold,it was really a classic car show so I didnt expect much as far as jeep stuff anyhow,but the Cobra replicas really caught my eye,not that I could afford one .LOL

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?

G
#2 ·
well teh biggest drawback is since it is all one piece...you hit one fender hard on a tree or something and crack it. It is either hopefully fix it or replace the whole thing. Also the only ones I have seen include the grill in it as well and if you have to get this one there is almost no way to get a winch on the front. But again maybe you can get one with a seperate grill I don't know. Pros though is looks really nice, no rust, anda little lighter.

G
#3 ·
I have an AJ's deluxe tub and one piece front end. The front end is great for engine work as you've pointed out. The only con that I can think of is that the front end tends to rattle a bit. The reason being is that the hood hinges that AJ's, and others, sell for the one piece are modified Kentrol SS hood hinges. The hinge pins are removed and replaced with 5/16" dia. linch pins which are a bit too small for the hinges, so the hinges/hood rattles and moves around a bit. The linch pins also tend to work themselves out of the holes over time. I've solved the working loose problem by removing the little balls in the ends of the linch pins and replacing them with SS split rings. I've tried hood locator kits, rubber bushings, and everything else I can think of to cure the rattle problem, but I haven't had any success. The next thing that I'm going to try is to have new pins milled that are slightly larger in diameter (11/32") to tighten up the hinges. Hopefully, this will cure the problem.

Dean

G
#4 ·
i have a fiberglass front end, and there are good and bad, repair is easy bondo and go, you can mount a winch
it took a while to figure out how to do it, if you want pictures send me an e-mail and i will send them to you, easier than trying how to explain. as far as rattling, i put rubber tie downs on the side like semi's and humvee's. i am in the army, where the idea came from. look at the sides of semi's and you will see what i am talking about

83cj7 401 th400 dana 20 dana 60 arb 14bolt detroit
full width tera low soa wrangler springs

Attachments

#5 ·
Thanks
The winch thing is no big issue with me I really don't need one (not that hard core) anyhow I was just wondering cause my fenders and hood are in such bad shape.I won't be doing anything in the near future so I have time to wonder.

What kind of fastback top is that and how do you like it ?I have been thinking about that for a while I dont want regular soft top bought one and sent it back.
There don't seem to be many around to match the quality of the older ones I have seen
Thanks again

Ray

#7 ·
Hey chuck
do those tops have a frame or just the roll bar ,and do they snap to the body or use the soft top rail system ?
I have only seen one around here ,it looked kinda old but the material looked much more durable than the new soft tops.I am just looking for something real simple to throw up during rainy season when and if we get one this year ,cant wait to get the doors and hard top off for good.

I am just daydreaming of possible future projects cause the economy seems to be stalling ,I am holding off on anything big,I have most of the big stuff done engine /trans etc.
Thanks again

Ray

#8 ·
You can use your stock hinges and make the hole thing tilt back, mine works great!
Rodney Cooke

1985 CJ7 302 V8, T18, D20, D30, AMC20, SOA, 35" BFG's

#9 ·
Those front ends arn't cheep. Can't rember exactly how much but I'm thinking atlest 500+ for a front end, it might just be cheeper to find some nicer metal ones and give them a really nice treatment like lining the wheel wells W/ hurculiner, painting the engine side w/ hi-temp paint and then just a good quality paint on the outside. Most steel fenders can have the dents pounded out w/ a rock before you get home (wife doesn't see or know that way) but w/ the glass you are going to have some major work on your hands to make them look good again. You could probably add a glass hood on top of those fenders and then a stock steel grill or you could get a mopar reproduction. I bet if you wanted to you could engineer a way to make your steel front end a 1 piece flipable or make it so that the grill and fenders have a quick disconect system to be easily removed when you want to get at stuff easily.
Barrelroll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.