Off Roading Forums banner

Side Exhaust

310 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  utahjeepr 
G
#1 ·
Is there enough room to fit a side exhaust on my scrambler if i have to have a cat? - this seems to be a good option because i have not been able to find any scrambler exhausts from the big names ( borla, gibson, ect )

'85 Scrambler
Shell Valley Fiberglass tub
4" Superlift, 2 inch homemade body
33 x 12.5
stock 258

#2 ·
im not sure what you are looking for.. i had headerson the ole 258.. but i would advise you not to run them out the side.. go out the rear back corner... i dumped my header 2 into one.. then i had another with dual exhaust.. i just ran that one straight back.. dumped it right before the rear axle..
these were both hand made...
an exhaust shop can do this work for you..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
survival is instinct, but living takes guts

#3 ·
When I bought my Scrambler it had headers that exited the fenderwell, went straight into a cherry bomb, glass pack, whatever they are called now.... and then a small 90 degree that turned it out right before the wheel. There was no room in there for a muffler and a cat as I can remember. I still have the complete set up sitting at the house, I'll take a look at it when I get home and compare it to the size of my cat and my muffler to see if it there would be enough room to mount all that stuff before going out the side, but I would have to agree with Jeepgod that you should take it out the rear of the Jeep, you'll be much happier. If you can't afford to go to a muffler shop, Take some wire or something and use it to make a template of what you need to go over the axle and then go to your local auto parts store to look at the pieces they have in the back (they always have over the axle pieces pre-made for different brands of vehicles, I used to work in auto parts years ago) and see if you can find something that will fit your needs.

82 Scrambler, 360, T5, D300, 4" SUA, AMC20 w/rear discs and Somers Bros 1 piece axle shafts, D30, 3:73's, and lockers.
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club

G
#4 ·
It has been my experience that an exhaust system run on the sides gets destroyed quickly. On my CJ-5 I have no choice until I make some changes underneath (I have the early, narrow frame) so I am waiting until I swap in my new Chevy 377 in place of the 305 (gotta get the axles up to snuff first). Until then I'll just keep smashing the side exhaust flat and rippin' mufflers off. BTW, I do pick up the parts. I don't just leave flat ol' torn off mufflers lyin' on the trail, no matter how hot they are.

I'd recommend finding a good exhaust guy. Tell him you want it inside the frame and out the back, and have a good system built once.

I am a "Sheetmetal Darwinist"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.