Off Roading Forums banner

Recon 250 cold hearted.

3K views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  AirBornBanshee 
G
#1 ·
I have a second quad, a 1998 honda 250 recon which is hard starting and wont idle till warm. Its eating batteries as well. I can ride all day and if I use the lights for any length of time it drains the battery. I've tested its voltage output and its bang on.
Is there a hotter plug out there that seems to work better for cold starts. Has anyone experienced these problems and how was it remedied Thanks for any assistance.

#2 ·
If you are riding with lights on and it drains the battery, then one of two things is most likely happening...

1. Someone put higher output lights on it which eat juice
2. The stator is not putting out enough to keep up with the battery and the lights.

I would put the lights on and run it a lil higher then usual and test the voltage output...just at idle you will not get a true run of the voltage.

It could also be a battery going bad and cant take the charge. as far as a cold hearted machine a hotter plug will not help that much, most likely the carbs need to be tweeked enough to allow it to start better.

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!

G
#3 ·
I would have to agree with Airborn about the spark plug...its probably in your carb. when i bought my Quadracer from the previous owner it took about 2 years (not really but a long time) to kick start it, thats why he was selling it so cheap. i tore the carb apart, cleaned everthing, put it back to together and she now starts on the first or second kick. hope this helps.

Chris
'87 Honda CR125R
'88 Suzuki Quadracer
'99 Kawasaki Prairie
Still Lookin For A Yamaha :)

G
#4 ·
Thanks for the response Airborn. The lights are stock from the factory and the dealership checked the stator and said it was putting out 14.2 volts. It seems fine so they changed the battery but I feel this may be the problem. I'm going to load test it and this should tell me what condition it is in. I've never had the carb apart so I'll give that a try. Thanks for everything.

#5 ·
no prob man...My banshee is a beyotch to start too...it takes a good strong leg and about 4 or 5 kicks...but I am hoping that with the mods this winter, it should be a bit better starting for the summer...if not...Oh well...
but the hotter plug defenitely isnt going to affect how it starts....ya know?

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.