Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - registration question..
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 04:46 PM
Dana
Addict

Re: registration question..

I think the general rule, legally, is the frame is the vehicle. Practically, it may depend on whether the VIN stamped on the frame is legible. If there's any doubt they will look for the VIN on the frame and compare it.

When I bought my 79 CJ5 it already had a glass body. Since the body had obviously been replaced, I had to pay for a special inspection to compare the VIN on the firewall to the one on the frame..... and, of course, being a rusty '79, they couldn't find it. Eventually, they issued me a new VIN plate to stick on to the body, with the same number.

The location of the alternate VIN is supposed to be a secret, known only to the manufacturer and DMV, but on Jeeps it's supposedly either on the to p of the frame in the right rear wheel well, or the top or side of the RH frame rail in the engine compartment. If it's illegible, one could probably get away with calling it anything (not that I'd advise that, of course [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

-Dana

Welcome to the Federal Bureau for Reducing Bureaucracy!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome