Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Need urgent help with D30 axle!
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
kutyafal
Veteran

Re: Need urgent help with D30 axle!

Well, I ended up using a chisel and a BFH between the hub and the knuckle. It came off. So did my knuckles. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I got the locker in and the hub back on and was almost done when I broke one of the caliper mounting bolts! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Now I gotta go to the dealership to get a replacement. Fortunately I could take out the broken part and didn't strip the hole in the knuckle. Tried using a 15-150 ft/lbs torque wrench to torque it to 30 lbs but the wrench didn't work right at that low a setting and there it went. Learned a lesson: use the right tool for the job! Anyway, thanks for the help guys now I'll be set for Sunday's wheeling in the red slimey gunk. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Locked up all around! Oh, by the way I didn't have to remove the axle nut, just pulled the whole shebang out a bit. Knowing what a b!ch it was to take that sucker apart I'll remove the other side hub too in the comfort of my garage so it'll loosen up. I don't want to have to deal with a rusted on hub out on the trail!

'91 YJ, I-6, 2.5" lift, sway bar is in the trash, Currie Boomerang shackles, 31 Michelins, D30 front, D35c with Lock-Right and a light foot

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome