Off Roading Forums banner

Hey Steve!

682 views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  Steve83 
G
#1 ·
Hey, I was checking out your pics. First off you do some nice work. Second do you still have the switches and covers for the drivers side window and locks? also what else would I need to complete ABS on my '86 besides your rear end?

#2 ·
Thanks!
Yes.
A lot of wiring, an 4WABS computer, a pump motor/valve assembly, all new brake lines (only for the bends & length - not special tubing), an acceleration sensor, steering knuckles with sensors & calipers, hubs with tone rings, and a LOT of time and patience. I'm still missing 1 caliper, knuckles & sensors, hubs, wiring, and time.

If you need a good rear axle, look at that '88 8.8 3.55LS ABS.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15

#4 ·
Re: Let\'s talk.

When I was trying to convert to power windows (right after the rollover), I couldn't find the switches or bezels in junkyards, so I went to a few dealers (Ford parts - before anyone gets cute!). The ONLY thing they said was still available (then) was the driver's switch for $35... so I bought one. Then, like a month later, I found a few in junkyards./wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif Then I converted to the later model door panels, so now I have ALL the spares I collected and the new one. They all work, but some look rougher than others.

THE POINT is; how good is good enough for you? You can have the new one for $30, or an older one for $15-10 (depending on condition). The passenger window and lock switches are $10-7. The bezels are each the same as the corresponding switch - I don't have any bezels with even one broken switch-retaining clip.

The cupholders are SpillMasters (maybe "Twin"???) from Wal-Mart - $8 for the pair and the little storage thing between. I cut and stained the wood to fit the console, attached the cupholders, and screwed metal circles (as weight) on the bottom, and put a strip of closed-cell foam weatherstripping around the edge to keep it in place. It's never dumped a drink, even the 64oz SuperGiantMegaThirstBusterAttack cups./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif But I also thought about cutting the cuptossers out and pushing a deeper cup into the holes like some new vehicles have - this would allow them to be cleaned occasionally... Nah! They'd never get cleaned.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15

#6 ·
Re: 8.8 with Limited slip

When I was shopping for the one I'm running, I couldn't find one for less than $750 with all the stuff this one has. So I'll sell this one for $350+shipping to a member ($500+ to anyone else), or keep it for a spare.

Steve

G
#7 ·
Re: Let\'s talk.

I guess I'll have to look closer at my local Wal-Marts. I've looked once and all that I could find was the kind that are the over the hump kind and the ones that hang on the window slots. I tried getting the switches from my Ford dealer and they wanted $85 just for the lock switch. I just found out about a new graveyard that I haven't been to yet. I love a good excuse to rumage around in junkyards. If I don't find anything then I will be snacthing those up.

#8 ·

That's cool gonna talk to the wife make sure we have the $$$ she handles that part or I would spend it all on my bronco!. I just spent $3000 on my engine and things. But that would complete it. Maybe if I get her something real nice for v-day It'll be alright. I'll get back to ya by this time tomorrow. THANKS

Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!

G
#9 ·

i just saw the door locks and window motors and kits in jc whitney and they were about 50 bucks a peice. they were in the truck only catalog. so i figure about 100 bucks and everything is power

89 Bronco XLT, V8 302, superwinch hubs, 31x10.50 trailhandlers

G
#10 ·
Trick Gauges?????

Where are these "Gauge pics" that I keep hearing folks talk about? I have tried to check out your home page but for some reason it errors out on me every time I try. If that is where they are, maybe you could POST a few here???????....:)

Grizzly

#11 ·
Re: Trick Gauges

They're at http://www.webphotos.com. Enter "steve" in the "Email/Nickname" field in the lower left, and you will see my album list. Those pics are in "My 83 Bronco", and I've got 3 to attach, but I think it will only accept one.

It shows the 87 steering wheel on the 83 (not original) steering column, 94 PSOM (speedo), 83 tach, 83 oil & water, 89 fuel & volt (inverted) gauges.

The other 2 show the cluster out of the truck, and if they don't show up here, you should be able to see them at webphotos.

Steve

Attachments

#12 ·
Re: JC Whitney power conversion

Those aren't factory parts, and their switches may not work with his factory wiring or motors. I doubt I spent $100 in junkyards getting all the stuff to convert to power, but it might have been close to that.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.