Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - OK, if you care...
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 10:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OK, if you care...

>>
Now - and the subject of the picture you see (if it attaches correctly): Same, but with American Racing wheels (put the canyon's up against a really high curb last winter), 250 watt Jenson amp, Rockford Phosgate box in place of the rear seat pushing 12" wolfers.
<<

Nice tunes, but thief bait. Depending on the neighborhoods you live in, you will probably want an alarm and keep the top on at night. I use a Bestop trail cover on mine when I'm not using the top in the summer. I had the cover stolen once, so now I lock it up to the side mirrors. It serves the purpose of keeping nosey people from looking inside and protecting from the occational freak rain storm in the night.

>>
Metallica graphics have been added....
<<

(bites tongue)

>>
33x12.50 MT/R's, in the garage, waiting .... for killer wheels - like Centerline style 814, but could use some advice. I am looking at 35's in the future. Should I go with a 10" rim now?
<<

33x12.50's is about the max for an 8" rim. If you are wanting even larger, then save yourself cash in the long run and buy 10" rims now.

Another thing to think about. What engine do you have? Auto or manual? When you start throwing 33's then 35's you'll be losing mass power. You'll most likely need to regear the diffs after upping to tires that size.

>>
4" ProComp lift, purchased and waiting to be installed next weekend... wish me luck! Any advice on this kit would be appreciated.
<<

I haven't heard or researched much on Pro Comp for TJ's. I do know that most people agree that their YJ springs are very stiff and don't like them at all. Again, I don't know about their coils so I can't give you any input on that one.

>>
Lockers - Detroit EZ? OXLock? Gimme some ideas!
<<

If you end up regearing when you pop 35's on that thing, think about an ARB locker or Detroit type that replaces the whole carrier instead of one that just replaces spider gears. These types are much more likely to last a long time instead of grenade in the carrier.

>>
Soft doors, two piece.. Bestop?
<<

Bestop makes good stuff but I personally don't like soft doors. I like the hard half doors with soft top. When I'm offroad I take the doors off anyway. On the road, no top, just half doors. Winter - soft top.

>>
I want to put on some 6" fender flares - Steel Horse, Bestop, or other?
<<

I, unfortunatly, bought Steel Horse extended flares a while back. They fit pretty well, but the finish sucked. The finish lasted about 3 weeks, then I had to remove them, sand, prep, and paint them with a good bumper flexible type paint. Since I've done that, they look good and serve their purpose. No experience with Bestop ones, but I have a friend with Xenon flares. While expensive they are far superior.

Also if you are serious about good offroad performance. When you put that 4" lift on and if you have drive shaft vibration problems, you'll need to put on a slip yoke eliminator on your transfer case. If you have the cash, while you have the case apart, put in a 4 to 1 conversion kit in the transfer case also. You'll get much better final ratio in 4wd, but not notice anything different in 2wd (a good thing).

More to think about.. If you regear, then put 35's on and do serious off-roading, you might have axle problems if you have a Dana 35 in the rear. If you have the 44 then you are lucky and shouldn't have problems. The 35 is a little weaker and with those tall of tires and gears / torque etc...you'll end up snapping axles on the nasty off-road trails. To correct this, you can consider upgrading the axles to begin with before tires / gears / lockers etc...

Point is: The Jeep will NEVER be finished. It's a never ending adventure. Beefing up one thing reveils another part's weakness that needs upgrading etc...

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome