Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Help '86 Bronco ignition problem???
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 11:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help \'86 Bronco ignition problem???

I rebuilt my carb 1 year ago and the truck ran fine for 6 months. Now for the last 6-months the truck will shut off while driving, it doesn't stutter or hesitate, it just shuts off like you turn the key off. When you try to re-start it it acts like there is an electrical power drain, lights dim and the starter turns over slowly. It will start but only for 1 second and immediately shut off again. It will do this 5 or 6 times before it will finally stay running. Eventually, as you are driving, this sequence will be repeated. I started trouble shooting at the carb, it is pumping fuel even when the problem occurs so I ruled carb problems out. Last night I replaced the positive battery cable andI replaced the ignition coil. I thought the coil might be cutting out but this did not fix the problem. I am now starting to wonder if I have a bad wire somewhere. The engine and wire harness are original from 1986. Something is occasionally draining the electrical power. Bad ground? Any ideas out there????

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome