Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - Interior Schminterior....
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 12:39 PM
Steve83
Mud in my Veins

Re: Dash swap

Exactly what gauges do you want to change? And to what? I changed mine because the old ones wouldn't work with the new gas tank and alternator. The truck wiring harness had to be changed, so the gauges also had to be changed. I could do the mechanical work of carving the instrument cluster and the electrical work of soldering, BUT without your truck, I couldn't change ITS wiring to work with the new gauges.
**OOPS I could put in the later oil pressure and water temperature gauges (and maybe the tachometer) with no mods to the truck wiring.**

Putting the later dash in is almost a bolt-in. (Bear in mind that I may use that term more loosely than you because I've done so much swapping in my truck and the others I've built.) You'd just have to rearrange the wiring harness so it would lie along the back of the new dash, or cut your firewall to fit the big round connector and use the later wiring. (THAT'S what I would do.) Then splice the harnesses together in the engine compartment. The later dash fits the same firewall and pedal bracket as the early trucks, so I don't think you'll find any mechanical interference, but you will have to get the E-brake pedal and ventilation box. As long as you can read the wiring diagrams in the back of the Haynes manual, I think it would be pretty easy (all things considered) and something you could be proud of.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome