Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - waste oil heater
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 03:15 AM
JimmyZ
Can't Get Enough

Re: waste oil heater

Nice info. Back in Pittsburgh I had an old fashioned claw footed bath tub refinished once. I was redoing the bath room and the fellow told me that if I could bring the tub to him he would gimme a price break. My dad and I wrestled it into the trunk of my Lincoln beater and shleped off to his house. Wow. He had a 3 story garage. Upper level could fit 4 cars with work area. Drive around left side and lower level could hold 2. Drive around right side and it had a 1 car on lowest level. This was in back of a very modest house in a neighborhood. In the back of the garage spanning all three floors was a huge heater. He said it was out of an old office building from downtown Pgh. They would get used oil from wherever/whoever in summer and heat not only the garage but his house and his dad's house next door. They ran pipes under ground. I guess it had a boiler too. The fellow told me that in the middle of winter(say 25 degrees) he could have the front doors open all day, close them and crank up the heat and it would take all of 20 min. to go to 80 degrees. While he was showing me his set-up his dad and mine were sippin' some stuff in his kitchen. My helper wasn't good for very much the rest of the day. The tub was gorgeous and it now had a story.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome