Off Roading Forums banner

looking for a cheap digital camera

1K views 9 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
i was looking for any opinions on a cheapie for jeep pics on this website and email etc. was looking at that polaroid for $60 at walmart ad. it plugs into "serial port" in back of pc to download pics. i have friends that have the more expensive sony's, etc, but do any of you guys have any luck with cheapies? i understand that the pixels/resolution factors in there and the "ideal" downloading with the fullsize 31/2" disc but i don't want to spend a boatload on it!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif rather spend on the jeep!
thanks in advance!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

See less See more
G
#2 ·
My brother uses the Poloroid Walmart Special everyday. He buys and sells on E-Bay. He often gets replies of how good the pictures are. You can buy a 3 1/2 inch flash disk, I think it is called and transfer your pictures direct from the camera card. You insert the small card from the camera into the flash disk. Download to your software and you are all set.

Jeeps - Cigars and Guns. What more could a man ask for!

G
#3 ·
Go to the search on this board. Put in topfuel7 under by username and go to the thread "pic of adapter". That was after I got an aiptek pen cam for Christmas. The only thing that is different than the post was my Mother in law got it at HSN , Home Shopping network, instead of QVC. I went to the HSN website earlier and they seem to have a new one out that looks much better for about the same price.

G
#6 ·
If that Poliroid at Walmart is the Pol. 640 model,i have one and its a great camera,hi resolutin pics are good as the pics from my Minolta,however
be very careful of the port on the camera where the serial cable plugs into.Inside on the circut board this port is soldered on and is very fragile,
mine was dropped on the cabe end while it was plugged into camera,only dropped from my hand to the chair i was sitting on,landed on the cable side and that soldered on port broke off the board inside.Now i have to use a reader that you insert the memory card into,it connects via a USB cable,you can also get them in a pass thru parallel port type,meaning it connects between your computer port and your printer cable there by sharing the same port.Or you can buy the flash path floopy adapter,they work well but i hear they are hard on batteries,as are the cameras if you use the LCD display a lot.Otherwise they are decent.One thing to be aware of with Walmart,if you buy a digital there and it breaks,they wont refund or replace it,they take it and send it back to Poliroid and is shipped back to you,i did this once,at no cost to me at all under warranty,so that isnt really to bad
a deal.But if i had the money to do it,i would buy (walmart has them) a digital that instead of a memory card,it uses 1.44 computer floppy disks,makes life a whole lot easier and cheaper for storage.you can take pics till your batteries die or you run out of floppys.then just bring it home and transfer them
by drag and drop if you want to your computer,you dont even need special software.Win Explorer will do it.Its just like copying a file from disk to computer.Plus these camera have better features like zoom.But run about 4 to 500 $$

G
#7 ·
thanks for the help!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
yeah the polaroid 640 was what i was considering. lone eagle you are very informative on this subject! that is exactly what i was wondering. i will pick one up and try it out, being careful not to jar the cable port! i really only want to download pics on the internet and don't plan on printing at this stage. i will post some pics when i get it!
seee yaaaaaa

G
#9 ·
wow! cool camera for only $80 at walmart! i had to take the first one back-the software download with the cd didn't work. second one worked fine! check it out........
thanks guys you were right on this one!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.