Off Roading Forums banner

Q's for buying an older sled

422 views 6 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Q\'s for buying an older sled

hey guys (and gals),
looking into picking up a couple of sleds this year but i don't really have a clue. looking for something under $1000 (yeah, i know, that's not much). but to be used for tooling around and to see if i'm really going to get into the sport. been looking at some 80's and early 90's models and am wondering what to look for?

mostly ditch riding and trails.
any help would be great.
thanks

tj
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif "it was a '76, '77, '78, '79...'83 automobile!" (johnny cash)

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Re: Q\'s for buying an older sled

Early 80-86s SRVs or 80-84 SS440s are good sleds for that vintage,or even a 84-86 Phazers

Stick with Yamahas if you are buying a 15yr old or older sled they tend to last longer

I had a 84 and 86 SRVs great sled put 27 thousand kms on the 86.

Punch Da Throttle and ROOST!!

G
#3 ·

c'mon, someone's got to have some experiences with some older sleds and what to look for....
help add another member to your sport.

thanks.

tj
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif "it was a '76, '77, '78, '79...'83 automobile!" (johnny cash)

G
#4 ·

I would go with a Phazer if you are going for an older sled.They are reasonably priced reliable light weight and have good power for there size!I own a 92 Exciter 570 and I am happy with it!

#5 ·

The Polaris Indy Trail were real good sleds from that era. This would be my choice just because of all the parts available in case you want to change anything. The Indy liquid cooled sleds were also good but you may have trouble finding them for $1000.

"Sled till you're dead"

G
#7 ·

I had an 86 Indy Trail (488cc). I bought it for $850 with 3600miles on it. I put plastic skins on the skis ( a must). I rode it HARD (believe me these are not made for six foot moguls!)for 2 seasons. We replaced all of the wheel bearings in the rear suspension. (Two were bad) And painted it. I sold it to my friend for $400 this year. It still runs great. Almost 4500miles of hard riding and it's only been rebuilt once. A thorough check at the beginning of this season and the motor still looks good no scoring. My buddy did the worst paint job on it so it is now the ugliest thing on snow but he has no problem keeping up with the rest of us. If you want a cheap, tough sled that's reliable, The Indy's are great. The only reason I got rid of it is because I rode a newer (96 ZR580EFI wich I now own)sled and could never go back.

"Ride it like you stole it!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.