Off Roading Forums banner

Wading

812 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
First, Thanks to everyone who helped me with my overcooling problem, I was pleasantly surprised at the response. (it still isn't fixed though, I think the auto-choke needs replacing).

Here is my next question: I have a carburetted Samurai, lifted about 1" by new springs. Does anyone know what the wading depth is for a Samurai that's not lifted much? I have been through about 2' without any trouble. Landrover say that wading depth is generally just under the radiator fan's bottom edge for their vehicles.

I'm looking to increase the depth to about 3", any ideas? I've already started building a snorkel.

Would anyone who's been swimming in their Samurai care to enlighten me?

Cheers, Scott.

The streets are quiet like a sleeping army

#2 ·
To drive into water that covers, or even partially covers, the fan, you should install an electric fan. With an engine-driven fan, the fan pulls itself into the radiator and rips it open /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif. With an electric fan you just flip the cut-off switch and go diving /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. Also- dont forget to seal the distributor. Run a bead of slicone adhesive around the base of the cap. Then drill a hole into the cap and press in a small tube that you can run a breather-hose off of to a higher location (you should route ALL your breather lines to a much higher location as well. If you do the snorkel up to the top of the windshield frame along with these modifications, and your engine doesn't leak oil, you will be able to drive into water until it goes over your head with no problems.

#6 ·
Sycho15 has one option, which is a good one. For the smaller radiators, look for fans from a Subaru or Toy, I know of some jeep guys that use them, multiple units of course. They're cheap and waterproof, no need to spend a lot of $$$. Another option is the electric clutch fan, it uses a thermostat to activate the fan, but you can rig this off a switch to turn it off. Not sure of it's size, but heck, with torches and a welder, anything's possible. A/C compressors usually use this clutch pulley as well.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.