Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - need to replace my steering box on my cj
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2000, 01:08 AM
LEVE
Way Outta Control

Re: need to replace my steering box on my cj

Ok, I admit it... there's one area of the CJ that I am incredibly ignorant about... everyting from the frame down... including the steering gear.

I've rebuilt both automatic transmissions and steering gears in the garage because I was forced to do so due too many kids, never enough money!. I much prefer to rebuild the automatic transmissions... they seem much more understandable to me. I really hate taking apart a steering gear, I never feel confident that they'll work when I put them back together. When the CJ's steering box starts to leak I'll be looking for a used steering box. I really don't want to rebuild another one. I've heard lots of talk that these are - straight off the shelf - Saginaw supplied GM steering Gears.

1. Is there any truth to this infomation?
2. What GM Vehicles are good as doner vehicles to supply this steering gear?

With a GM Heater Blower Motor, a GM HEI distributor and a Howell - GM Fuel Injection... I should just go out and get GM logo's and slap on the Jeep. If I ever put in a 305 or a 350 Engine, I may just do that!

Good Jeepin'

Larry

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome