Off Roading Forums banner

!@#%*$# Transfer Case

1K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
77 Chevy K10, 350/350TH/NP203
We got transfer case #2 installed Friday night. Locked everything in and took it for a test drive. The 4WD works great! No problems getting into gear, no funny noises, no problem. I was sooo happy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif! So, I unlocked everything and put it back into 2WD and start driving back to the house. I got about a quarter of a mile down the road and it slipped into neutral! The stupid thing won't stay in 2wd now! I had to drive it home in 4HI/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif. Please tell me that this is just a linkage adjustment and not something more sinister....

Cheryle

/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gifweehaa!

See less See more
G
#2 ·
It sounds like it could be a bad kneuter valve in the muffler bearing lubrication system causing it to jump synchronizers when there's a lack of torque on the front driveshaft. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Actually, the NP203 is a full-time transfer case. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the front end still has to be locked in, even when you are in 2WD (note, your problems started after you disengaged the front axle). If your front end is unlocked and you have the t-case in 2WD, I think it's pretty much the same as having the unit in neutral. Lock the hubs and you might be alright in 2WD??? Somebody else more knowledgeable about t-cases might be able to help more.

TOO MUCH POWER isn't enough.

#3 ·
Actually, my problem started WAY before I disengaged the front axle, but that's a whole nuther story/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif...

I shoulda mentioned that the transfer case has the part-time conversion...

Cheryle

#4 ·
Sounds to me like a linkage adjustment is in order. You'd better make an offering to the transfer case gods first though, cause apparantly somewhere along the lines you PISSED THEM OFF! Good luck with it. Did your smitten mechanic friend install this one too?

Evan/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

#5 ·
Boy, you're not lyin' about those transfer case gods. I'm not sure what I did to deserve this - I was real nice to my truck when the original one went out. Heck, I didn't even call it names like I wanted to when the first replacement didn't work/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif. And, yes, my mechanic friend installed this one, too/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif, but I think he might be kicking himself in the butt for volunteering to help me out with this project/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif.

I hope you're right about the linkage adjustment...

Cheryle

#6 ·
I honestly believe that you can piss your truck off. I tell all my buddies not to talk s&^t about my truck or to swear at it. One of my buddies did, and I kid you not, the hood fell down on him as he was bent over the engine. Even though it has springs to keep it up. Only time it ever happened. He claims it was the wind, but I think it was my truck...........

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

#8 ·
HECK NO! 89 octane is 1.959 a gallon here in San Deigo! 92 octane is like 2.059! Ouch! Glad I don't have to drive to far to work. I only run 89 octane anyways. Glad I never put that chip in because 92 cost to much (that was back when 92 was 1.20 something/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif)!!

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

#9 ·
tsss...tss..$2 a gallon is kids stuff/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. I pay $1 per litre, and a gallon is 3.78 litres....and best of all, I drive some 60 miles a day /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif.

Andreas

If a Blazer runs smooth, it isn´t really a Blazer/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G
#10 ·
Down here 87 octane = 1.40 or something. I work for Peelers and with our trucks we get a gas card. I scrounge out of the trucks at the end of the day, hence me getting about $10 worth a day. But when I finish my 454, I am gonna be afraid to count how much gas is.

Bad Bowtie
1973 Chevy Scottsdale/350/SM465/NP205/44/14 bolt/33's
1974 GMC Jimmy/350/TH350/NP203/44/12 bolt/31's

#11 ·
This is unfriggenbelievable!!!! It's not the linkage/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif!!! Could it be that the kit is messed up in the new transfer case??? We're going to take the kit out of my old one (since I know that the 2wd worked fine) and put it in the new one. I was told that this could be done without having to pull the case again. If that case has to come out again, I don't think I'll be able to stand it/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif!!! Maybe I should take up quilting/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif?

Cheryle

#12 ·
Damn Cheryle, what the heck did you do to piss off the transfer case gods? Well, between the 3 broken cases you have, I would imagine that you should be able to make a whole working one. I don't know if you have to pull the case to swap the part time kit though. Sorry, this post really wasn't much help...

Evan/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G
#13 ·
I have the NP203 transfer case with the part time mod...I'm having trouble getting it into 4WD. I am going to try to adjust the linkage....hoping that is what the problem is. Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

#14 ·
Okay, not to sound rude or anything here, but why not just get a 205, 208 or 241? They're all superior transfer cases? Just a suggestion......

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Flowmaster 40 DF 3", 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

#16 ·
Hey AJM, I don't think that's being rude at all, makes perfect sense. When the first case went south, for over a month I searched hi and lo for a 205 and there were NONE to be found anywhere! We threw the 203 in the night before a Pismo trip! I located a 205 a couple of days ago, but the guy wants $1,000 for the case and installation! I'm almost thinkin' it might be worth it if this doesn't work out/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif.

Yes, Tex, I'm still enjoying the STTs.... I'll enjoy them a heck of a lot more, when/if I ever get my stupid (strike that/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif), I mean beautiful, wonderful truck on the road again/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Cheryle

#17 ·
Have you checked the junkyards? I bet your buddy would "love" to crawl under some old Chevys and take one off for you./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Not to mention junk yards are usually dirt cheap.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Flowmaster 40 DF 3", 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

#18 ·
Unfortunately, the 205 is a rare bird in these parts -- the only place I've been able to find them are through private parties and they usually want some exhorbitant amount of cash for one. Who knows, I just might get that desperate.

As far as my friend goes, I think he's about ready to push my truck off a cliff!/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

Cheryle

#19 ·
$1000 for a np205!?! $1000!!?!For that amount of cash you could by a donor vehicle and get spare axles, driveshafts, windshield, bumpers, another np203/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif. Just throw your friend another pair of motorcycle pants every now and then/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Andreas

If a Blazer runs smooth, it isn´t really a Blazer/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G
#20 ·
Did you convert that case to part time or did you asume it was part time already when you got it? Have somebody put it in gear and hold the brakes while somebody looks to see if the front driveshaft is turning while sitting still with it in gear when it won't move. If the front shaft is spinning you got a case thats still full time....lock the hubs and drive.
If it's deffenatly converted then 1 of 2 things is out of adjustment or it has a gummed up shifter thats not holding the detnet and needs to be cleaned.

Grim-Reaper
http://www.grimsk5s.coloradok5.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.