Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - 2.5L hookup to TH400
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 09:35 PM
Sycho15

Re: 2.5L hookup to TH400

I dont believe the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder AMC engines will interchange. If they did they everyone would know it just like we know all the 6 and 8 cylinder engines interchange. That TH-400 is a heavy brute and can take the power of pretty much any automotive engine. Kinda negates using a lighter engine and a heavy tranny like that doesn't it? The 904 and 909 autos used in 4-cylinder Cherokees and Comanches would bolt up to the engine. I think a 904 bellhousing would bolt to a 999 tranny, which has a 2.75:1 first gear- one of the lowest first gears used in any Jeep autobox (the AW30-40 used a 2.8:1 first gear.) Then you are left with finding an x-case to bolt to the rear of the 999. Once again I think a Dana 300 will bolt up since this tranny was used in CJs from 80-86, the same years the D-300 was used. That would be a really nice, light-weight set-up in a Flatefender for sure!

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It was running good, so I messed with the carb to make it run better. Now it wont run at all! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome