Off Roading Forums banner

Electric Fuel Pump question

719 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I have to use an electric fuel pump with my 305 set up cause it has a surpintine belt setup and a mach. pump won't fit onto the block.

Do I just need to use a "key on" wire to run it? Does it matter where I mount it or anything? Anything special I need to know? Thanks.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
1984 CJ7 V8 SOA w/35's or 39's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
www.jeepeast.com/overmost

#2 ·
1. Mount the pump as close as possible to the tank to decrease it's work to siphon fuel (Mine is just to the passenger side of the transmission affixed to the frame rail).
2. Filter the fuel before it enters the electric pump to decrease wear on the pump.
3. Buy a pump to provide the correct fuel pressure.. a non EFI pump.
4. Dampen the pump with some foam to decrease vibrations into the pump and out of the pump.
5. Encase the pump, if possible to keep road debris from destroying it.
6. Look at Summit Racing catalog.. it will give you an idea of what's on the market for a pump.
7. Hook the electronic pump into an electrical circuit that is hot during the Start and Run modes. The oil pressure gauge feed circuit is a good point for this pump to be fed by.

Good Jeepin'

Larry

G
#4 ·
Like LEVE said, you want the pump to run off of a oil pressure switch.You definatly want the pump to die when the engine does.Just imagine a roll over,engine dead,battery shorting out on crunched hood,fuel pump still pumping away,big fire!!!! All because the key was left on in all the excitment!!!

G
#5 ·
As for a brand name... I have been using an Airtex, part number E8012S, bought at a NAPA store. It's been pumping away for over two years, and about 40K miles. No problems (yet). It's noisey - you would never doubt that it is running, at least while stopped. At 'road-speed', I can't hear it, at all.
(my application = 85 Chero, with 3.4, carburetor)

bobH

#6 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I'm pretty sure that in some of the newer cars and trucks, that you get a specified number of seconds of current to the fuel pump as soon as the key is switched on. After the time has elepsed, the pump quits unless there is evidence that the engine is actually running or is being cranked./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I like the suggestion about the pump circuit being oil-pressure dependent for safety reasons. However, you would have to have a push button in the cab to hold the pump "on" until oil pressure took over./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Not a bad anti-theft measure, actually./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Also, I would think that setting the pump up to circulate the fuel back to the tank as the Jeep was originally made to do might be an advantage. Get a bigger pump and use the fuel-loop type of system to help balance out fuel pressure./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Personally, electric pumps STILL make me leary......a hold-over from the fifties when electric pumps were so darn unreliable./wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif Man....am I OLD or what??/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G
#7 ·
Re: Electric Fuel Pump return-loop

I'll 'vote' for the return-loop, also. If no convenient fitting is available for the return, I just install a fuel filter, of the type that comes stock on 82-86 CJ-7's with the 258. This particular filter has a return-loop port on it.

bobH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.