Off Roading Forums banner

THUNK!

681 views 13 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I'm hearing a strange "Thunk!" from the rear of the truck when I come to a stop then accelerate forward again. My Toyota used to do this when it wanted new u-joints but I just checked them and they are in execellent condition.

Any ideas what the sound might be?

Thanks

(And NO I don't have anything loose rolling around in the rear of the truck!)

:)

G
#3 ·
Good idea from ARD. I have a question though, how did you check your u-joints? External visual or did you take them apart and look at the bearings? It sounds like u-joints to me, but it could be the brakes - if its not either of those, well... you have some more expensive rear end problems.

G
#8 ·
Here's some additional info...

When I apply the brakes firmly and come to a stop the rear of the Blazer "Sticks" up about an inch maybe two. When I let off the brakes to accelerate away from the stop it sort of "Falls" back down and THAT is when the THUNK sound happens.

Thanks again for all your input.

G
#12 ·
have you checked the bushings in the shocks? i've heard this noise when there's almost no rubber left for bushings. also the gas tank straps could be loose letting the gas move the tank when you take off.

motor head

G
#13 ·
Definitely check your leaf springs! When I first bought my Jimmy the previous owner had sandwiched a helper spring in above the overload leaf and the Jimmy would do the exact same thing. Once I pulled the helper out and greased the springs it stopped doing it. If you have a short style add a leaf it could possibly do the same thing.

"Dude, if you turn down the next dirt road we can save 15 minutes." What my best friend said just before the EARTH swallowed my truck. WHOLE.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.