Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups - View Single Post - wisdom for all... .
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2000, 04:59 PM
Jay Anger
Addict

Re: wisdom for all... .

Dadnabbit Gary!!! My wife has been telling me for nine years that I have no heart!! Now you have to go and give her a quote like this. (I have been conservative since I took Constitution class in 8th grade by the way - probably eariler - my dad was a staunch independant with some very liberal views, but I went against his wishes and voted for Ford in our mock election in grade school anyway!) Hopefully I won't suddenly get soft brain and turn liberal at age 40!

Here's a few more quotes, note how these would be from "radical right-wing conspirators" if said today:

"If by the mere force of numbers a majority should deprive a minority of any clearly written constitutional right, it might, in any moral point of view, justify revolution."
- Abraham Lincoln in his first inagural address, March 4, 1861.

"When prople are oppressed by a government it is a natural right thay enjoy to releive themselves of the oppression if they are strong enough, whether by withdrawing from it, or by overthrowing it."
- Ulysses S. Grant

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations."
- James Madison, Virginia Convention, June 16, 1788

"Experience teaches us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficent."
- Louis D. Brandeis, dissent, Olmstead vs. U.S., 1928

"The name American, which belongs to you in your natural capacity, must always exalt the just pride of patriotism more than appellatives derived from local discriminations."
- George Washington in his farewell address, September, 17, 1796

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome